Embrace all things Fall and Winter with this hearty, easy, healthy, and flavorful soup using Butternut Squash!
I was fortunate enough to be given several butternut squash this winter, and I totally did a little happy dance because I love butternut squash soup. My hubby used to work at this restaurant that made the BEST soup ever, and I would always ask him to bring it home to me. But now he doesn’t work there and we moved away, so I had to learn to make it myself. And want to know something? It was so much easier than I ever imagined it would be.
10 minPrep Time
45 minCook Time
55 minTotal Time
- 6 cups butternut squash, peeled, seeded, and cubed (About one medium sized squash)
- 4 golden delicious apples, peeled, cored, and cubed
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 2 cups Chicken Stock (I used Aneto low sodium chicken stock)
- Water (amount may vary)
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 1/4 tsp ginger
- 1/4 tsp coriander
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- 2 Tbs butter
- Sour Cream
- Apple slices
- In a heavy soup pot, melt butter and add onions, cook 2-3 minutes
- Add in butternut squash and apples and cook for about 10 minutes, stirring from time to time
- Add in spices, stock, and then add water until the squash and apples are completely covered, but not by much.
- Bring to a boil
- Put a lid on and turn down to let simmer.
- Simmer for 30 minutes until everything is soft, then transfer to blender and blend until smooth.
- Add water, or you could sub in milk/cream/coconut milk to thin to desired consistency if needed.
- Serve with your favorite garnishments.
The apple in this soup helps bring a new dimension of flavor, and the combination of spices compliments the squash beautifully.
And bacon…let’s talk about how awesome bacon and apples are together? I mean is there a more heavenly combination? Okay, now I am trying to come up with better combinations and all I can think of is an apple wrapped in candied bacon and dipped in chocolate, then sprinkled with sea salt, and maybe drizzled with marshmallow sauce or something…total imagination run away! Haha but really, add the bacon to this soup and you won’t even miss the chocolate and marshmallow I just described. Haha, man can you tell my mind is all over the place today.
The point is, this soup rocks, and the bacon helps!
And if you want another awesome way to use Butternut Squash in soup be sure to check out this Thai Butternut Squash Soup. It is amazing!!!