Broccoli Bacon Cheese Sauce: Creamy, pourable, deliciously flavorful cheese sauce made with real cheese, then stuffed with crisp but tender broccoli, and crispy, salty, delicious bits of bacon. The perfect topper for potatoes, nachos, or even thinned out and made into a soup.
What is it about broccoli and cheese that is just such a perfect combination? I mean could there be anything better? Yep…adding bacon. Adding bacon could be better.
I have been thinking about this a lot lately, there are just some foods that pair so naturally.
- Peanut Butter and Jelly
- Cheese and Wine
- Meat and Potatoes
- Carrots and ranch
Hahaha, ok, I haven’t actually given it that much thought, but the fact of the matter is, cheese and broccoli is a combination that is delicious. The broccoli adds a freshness and lightness to the cheese, and the cheese adds that sharpness! They just work. And adding bacon works even better.
I really wanted a recipe for a classic, easy broccoli cheese sauce I could use to top baked potatoes, or serve over rice. I have tried several, but a lot of them are either too lumpy, or taste like fake cheese, or just have too many extra ingredients that they aren’t super feasible.
So when I was making some of my super easy cheese sauce for a gathering, I realized I did not need to search for the perfect broccoli cheese sauce. I already had it, I just hadn’t applied it yet.
So I reserved part of the cheese sauce, and added some lightly steamed broccoli, and some freshly cooked, and oh so crispy, salty, delicious bacon bits!
Here is how to make it perfectly:
- Cook the bacon to crispness. You can do this in the oven, or on the stove top, just make sure it is nice and crisp.
- Get all of the grease off the bacon. Cheese already has oil in it, so if you add oily bacon, the result is not good. And way too heavy. So use a paper towel and get all the excess grease off that bacon.
- Do not overcook your broccoli. You want it steamed so it is just tender. Otherwise it will be mush, mixed with mush, and you won’t have any texture to make it a more pleasant eating experience.
- Chop the broccoli small enough. You want good broccoli, bacon, and cheese ratios, so get that broccoli to even, small enough sizes that when you top a baked potato with it, you can get bacon, broccoli, cheese, and potato all in the same bite without your mouth being overly full.
- Eat warm. While this easy cheese sauce is awesome because it reheats easily and will become pourable again, the fact of life is that when you heat cheese and let it cool, it will congeal. And no one wants a congealed sludge a top a potato. So don’t top your potatoes until you are ready to serve, that way if you need to re-heat up your sauce you can do so and add extra liquid.
Once you have done this, you are well on your way to one of the best tasting broccoli cheese sauces known to man. So do yourself a huge favor and go make this now. Did I mention it can be made ahead and reheated by adding additional liquid? Yep! So that is amazing.
Pin to your Dinner Ideas board on Pinterest: