This shop has been compensated by Collective Bias, Inc. and its advertiser. All opinions are mine alone. #drinkTEN #CollectiveBias
This Light and Skinny Kickin’ Orange Chicken uses SunkistTEN to get extra flavor without the extra calories. Plus it is gluten free! Huge win in my book!
Orange chicken is one of my family’s favorite recipes, but the version I usually make has lots of sugar and lots of calories. I eat it, and lick my plate clean, but I usually end up with an extra hour at the gym as the result. Ugh. With this recipe using Sunkist TEN you can eat your fill without the guilt and extra gym time! You get all the flavor you want and expect with very few calories thanks to the ten calorie Sunkist TEN! Plus it is baked not fried, and is tossed in potato flour to make it gluten free! Amazing.
Did I mention it is also very easy to make?
Head to your local Kroger store and pick up your ingredients. There were a few places in the store that carried the Sunkist TEN, which was great. Your best bet is to just head to the beverage aisle.
Cut your chicken into chunks, put it in a bowl with zest and juice from half of an orange, and about half a cup of Sunkist TEN, and pop it in the fridge for about ten minutes.
While your chicken is marinating, make your sauce by putting a cup of Sunkist TEN in a heavy pot.
Add zest and juice of half an orange, a couple tablespoons of honey, vinegar, and soy sauce, a dash of hot sauce, and a heaping tablespoon of minced garlic.
Bring it to a boil over medium heat.
In a small bowl mix ¼ cup cornstarch with ¼ cup water and stir. Then add it into your orange sauce to thicken it up, stir well, and remove from heat. You want to make sure you mix the water and corn starch first, or you will get clumps when you add it to your orange sauce.
Turn your oven on to 400 degrees.
Now get that chicken out of the fridge, and toss it in some potato flour/or regular flour (to make it Gluten Free choose a gluten free flour). I put flour in a bag, and add the chicken pieces in a few at a time.
Then spray a baking sheet, and lay your chicken out in a single layer. Bake for 10 minutes, flip over, and bake for 10 more. Then put it in a big bowl, put your orange sauce over the top, and toss to coat.
For extra fun, garnish with green onion and sesame seeds and enjoy!
And another big plus is that this sauce can be made ahead of time, and frozen to use later. I love this because on busy school nights I can pull the sauce out of the freezer, ready to go, and all I have to take care of is baking the chicken. Then I get to eat this delicious dinner!
20 minPrep Time
20 minCook Time
40 minTotal Time
- 2 lbs chicken breast
- 1-2 cups potato flour or other gluten free flour
- 1/2 cup Sunkist TEN
- zest of half an orange
- 1 cup Sunkist TEN
- zest and juice of half an orange
- 2 Tbs honey
- 2 Tbs white vinegar
- 2 Tbs soy sauce (go with the light and choose a gluten free option if you need it to be gluten free, or use Braggs Liquid Amino Acids)
- 1 tsp ground ginger
- 1 tsp sriracha or hot sauce of choice
- 1 Tbs minced garlic
- Thickener: 1/4 cup cornstarch mixed with 1/4 cup warm water
- Sesame seeds
- Green onion, chopped
- Cut chicken into bite sized chunks
- Marinate in Sunkist TEN and orange zest and put in fridge.
- In a heavy sauce pan mix together 1 cup Sunkist TEN, zest and juice of half an orange, soy sauce, minced garlic, vinegar, ginger, and honey
- Bring to a boil over medium heat
- In a cup mix together the cornstarch and warm water
- Stir cornstarch mixture into orange sauce, and remove from heat.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Remove chicken from fridge, and toss in potato or other gluten free flour until evenly coated
- Spray a cookie sheet with cooking spray, and place chicken pieces over tray in single layer
- Bake for ten minutes, flip over, and bake for ten more minutes.
- Remove from oven, and put chicken in a big bowl, pour sauce over the top, and toss.
- Garnish with sesame seeds and green onion, serve hot!
Did I mention my kids ate this up? The addition of soda in it made the kids think they were getting a totally indulgent treat, and that made me a very happy mama!
Do you love Orange Chicken? Be sure to check out this awesome recipe: Orange Chicken
Or you could change things up and try Lemon Chicken:
Or how about this awesome Asian Lemon Chicken: