Easter is candy, sweets, ham, and rolls. Am I right? Well this is a fun way to get a little Easter fun without all the extra sugar. I love this recipe because it is fast. It uses whole wheat flour. So it is relatively healthy. And it is cute. I am not super creative, so I am sure your “bunnies” could be much cuter than mine.
I have made soft pretzels a million times, they make a great after school snack, and can be sweet or savory. I love dipping them in mustard, cheese, frosting, etc. I will be sure to get some recipes up for my soft pretzel dips soon, but for now, here is how to make the pretzels themselves.
Easter Bunny Whole Wheat Soft PretzelsPrint Pin Rate
- 3/4 cup warm water
- 1/4 cup brown sugar can substitute 1/3 cup honey here
- 1 Tbs active dry yeast
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 1/4 cup white flour
- 1 pinch of salt
- 1 tsp corn starch
- 1 large egg
- 2 Tbs water
- Large piece kosher pretzel salt
- Proof your yeast by combining it with the warm water and honey, set aside to sit for about 5 minutes.
- While yeast is sitting, put flours, salt, and cornstarch in a bowl or blender, and give it a mix. If mixing in blender, blend until a hole forms in the center. If in a bowl, just mix until combined.
- Add the yeast mixture, and blend, or stir in. Be careful not to overstir, or the pretzels will be chewy, and tough. Just barely mix together. If the dough seems really dry, you can add about a TBS of water.
- Cover and let rise until double in size, about 15 minutes
- Preheat oven to 450
- Transfer dough to lightly floured surface, and separate into 12 pieces, roll out and form pretzels by twisting or shaping as you see fit.
- Whisk egg with water, and brush over tops of pretzels, sprinkle with large salt crystals.
- Bake at 450 degrees for 8-10 minutes, until golden brown.
Our recipe card software calculates these nutrition facts based on averages for the above ingredients, different brands, and quality of produce/meats may have different nutritional information, always calculate your own based on the specific products you use in order to achieve accurate macros for this recipe.