**I received a complimentary Blendtec blender and Twister Jar to facilitate this post. Thank you Blendtec for sponsoring this post and keeping it free for my readers!
Creamy, crunchy wontons with a tangy, tart, and perfect lemon dipping sauce!
You may have noticed that I love Chinese food as I often share/talk about our family favorites like Orange Chicken, Asian Lemon Chicken, and Beef and Broccoli. I basically just try to recreate the things we like to order at Chinese restaurants. One thing we order every time we go out for Chinese is Fried Crab and Cream Cheese Wontons.
I love the creamy filling and the crunchy exterior, and I love the lemon dipping sauce!! I seriously can’t get enough of these babies, so I decided to do my wallet a favor and learn how to make them myself.
I am sharing the recipe for the wontons over on the Blendtec blog today. I used my fantastic Blendtec blender to make them, and it was so easy too! (You can find the recipe for the wontons here.)
But let’s talk about this dipping sauce for a minute! I truly think wontons are only half dressed if they don’t have a great sauce for dipping. And my personal favorite is a lemon sauce. But not just any lemon sauce…THIS lemon sauce.
It is the perfect lemony goodness, just the right tang, but enough sweet to keep me happy! And when it is paired with the creamy-crabby filling of the wontons it is blissful!
And want to know what else? Both the wontons and the sauce freeze really well. This means you can make up a batch, and freeze it, then pull them out whenever you want a great appetizer. I like to assemble the wontons, then freeze them on a cookie sheet, then stick them in a freezer bag. This way all I have to do is cook them, and defrost the sauce. Which can be done in a matter of minutes.
Company shows up last minute? No problem, pull these out and fry them up quick to tied everyone over until dinner is made!
Wontons & Lemon Dipping Sauce
- Ingredientscrab and cream cheese wontons
- Wonton wrappers I just buy the premade ones, you can usually find them near the produce section of the grocery store
- Oil for frying
- 8 ounces cream cheese softened
- 3 green onions cut off the little hairy ends
- 1 lb imitation crab
- 1 tsp garlic salt
- 1½ tbsp milk
Lemon Dipping Sauce
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/3 cup lemon juice
- 1 tbs soy sauce
- 1/4 tsp ginger
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- zest of one lemon
- water for cooking
- Put the cream cheese, onions, garlic salt, milk, and half the crab in your blender and hit the “dips” button to blend.
- Then add in the rest of the crab, and pulse it a few times so it blends and shreds the crab meat, but does not totally decimate it.
- Note: This is a personal preference for texture. I like the inside to have a little bit of the meat in a “chunk” form, but if you do not care, you can just blend it all so it is a smooth, creamy texture.
- Dip your finger into some water and wet the edges of your wonton wrapper. Place ½–1 tbsp of the filling in the center, and crimp the edges together.
- Heat oil in a deep pan or fryer to about 375°F.
- Fry at 375°F until the wonton wrapper is golden brown (2-3 minutes)
Lemon Dipping Sauce
- Put eggs and sugar in blender and blend until eggs are fluffy and light yellow
- Add in lemon juice and zest, seasonings, and soy sauce and blend for a few more seconds to incorporate
- Fill a saucepan about 2-3 inches of water, and bring to a simmer
- Pour lemon mixture into a heat safe bowl, and place over sauce pan
- Cook, whisking intermittently, until the sauce thickens and is custard like (about 15 minutes)
Our recipe card software calculates these nutrition facts based on averages for the above ingredients, different brands, and quality of produce/meats may have different nutritional information, always calculate your own based on the specific products you use in order to achieve accurate macros for this recipe.
Want more amazing Asian themed foods?
Orange chicken is a family favorite over here:
Or how about this Asian Lemon Chicken?
Or maybe this Beef and Broccoli?
Free Weekly Meal Plan
Get a FREE weekly meal plan sent to your inbox, with shopping list! And the occasional update!