Spicy Prawns on Crispy Wontons: Here’s something to impress your friends that’s simple to make and packed full of spicy heat and mouthwatering flavor. These Spicy Prawns on Crispy Wontons are a must have for your next dinner party.
Spicy Prawns on Crispy Wontons
©Eazy Peazy Mealz by EazyPeazyMealz.com
Pin it to your Appetizer board to SAVE it for later!
Follow Eazy Peazy Mealz on Pinterest for more great tips, ideas and recipes!
Hello, Sarah and Laura from The Wandercooks here making Spicy Prawns on Crispy Wontons! Spring is juuuust around the corner in our home town of Adelaide, and we’re looking forward to brighter mornings and long days in the warm sun. Winter’s having one last laugh before it lets us go though, and today’s downpour has made for the perfect day to stay inside with the heater cranked and our stove ready to party!
But the good news is, when it comes to whipping up today’s recipe for Spicy Prawns on Crispy Wontons, it doesn’t matter a hoot what the weather is up to. All you need are a few simple ingredients + a few little tricks up your sleeve and you’ll be ready to rock and roll. Another tasty and simple appetizer or side are sweet potato fries.
When we first started cooking together, we set ourselves a goal to cook something completely different every night. Not only would this stop us getting bored of cooking the same boring recipes all the time, but we knew we’d also learn a heap of new techniques and flavor combinations along the way.
Our track record gave us six months of deliciously different meals and led us to this Spicy Prawns on Crispy Wontons, which is not only juicy, crispy and insanely delicious, but also helped us learn two key techniques:
1. How to peel, devein and butterfly prawns. You can use a shrimp deveiner and cleaner to help you out with this chore.2. How to shallow fry wonton skins into delicious little appetizer holders
It’s amazing how nervous we were to try our hand at new techniques like these! But every time we tried something new, it was never as hard as we thought. As time and meal after delicious meal flew by, we became open to being bold with our cooking and even more excited to try new things.
So, what’s your scariest yet most rewarding cooking experience?
Sarah & Laura xx
P.S. Before you go, be sure to check out these delicious morsels! What new techniques and flavor combinations will you learn today?
- Spicy Balinese Minced Pork Satays
- Avocado Egg Rolls
- Smoked Hickory Meatball Skewers with Mozzarella
- Vegetable Hummus Flatbread
- Classic 7 Layer Dip Upgraded
More appetizers you might enjoy:
- Buffalo Chicken Stuffed Mini Bell Peppers
- Hawaiian Pizza Sliders
- Garlic Parmesan Roasted Potatoes
- Supreme Pizza Pinwheels
- Sheet Pan Chicken Nachos
Spicy Prawns on Crispy Wontons
For the Seasoning:
- ¼ tsp black peppercorns
- ¼ tsp coriander seeds
- ¼ tsp sea salt flakes
- ¼ tsp chilli flakes
- 2/3 lb of uncooked medium to large prawns shelled and deveined
- 5 square wonton wrappers
- 1/2 cup peanut oil for shallow frying wontons and prawns
- 2 tsp peanut oil
- 1 clove garlic crushed
- 1 fresh small red chilli thinly sliced
- 2 tsp lime juice
- 1 Tbs sweet chilli sauce
- 1 spring onion thinly sliced
- Place the seasoning ingredients in a mortar and crush lightly with a pestle. This mortar and pestle set is made of granite, crushes easily, and is beautiful to boot.
- Butterfly each prawn by slicing gently down the back (but not all the way through). Flatten each prawn slightly and set aside.
- Slice the wonton wrappers in half. Heat the oil in a small frying pan and shallow fry the wrappers in batches until golden brown. Remove from the pan and set aside on absorbent paper to drain.
- Reheat the oil, then shallow-fry the prawns in small batches for around 15 seconds each side or until prawns start to change color. Be careful of spitting oil. Remove from the pan and set aside on absorbent paper to drain.
- In a large wok or frypan, heat the peanut oil and stir-fry the garlic and chilli until fragrant. Add the prawns, lime juice, sweet chili sauce and seasoning, and stir-fry until heated through. Remove from the heat and stir through the spring onion slices.
- To serve, place a prawn or two on each crispy fried wonton wrapper.
Our recipe card software calculates these nutrition facts based on averages for the above ingredients, different brands, and quality of produce/meats may have different nutritional information, always calculate your own based on the specific products you use in order to achieve accurate macros for this recipe.
Pin to your Appetizer board on Pinterest: