Garden zucchini, topped with a flavored cracker mix, and baked to a flavorful, delicious perfection. This is going to be your favorite vegetarian casserole.
One of my all time favorite foods is zucchini, it is delicious and versatile, and this zucchini casserole is a great option for meatless Monday, as well as the perfect way to use your garden harvest.
If like me, you have an abundance of zucchini in the summer, this zucchini casserole, and these favorite zucchini recipes are a must make in your arsenal:
- Beef Stuffed Zucchini Boats
- Easy Zucchini Bread Recipe
- Baked Zucchini Bites
- Zucchini Noodle Shrimp Scampi
What You Need to Make Zucchini Casserole
This recipe is loaded with flavor, but is super simple when it comes to ingredients. You only need a few things:
- Zucchini– This is an obvious one, but it is best if you use medium sized, that way everyone gets plenty to eat, but the zucchini is tender and delicious. If your zucchini get too big, you can shred them and make Carrot Zucchini Muffins.
- Butter– You pick, salted or unsalted. I use salted in this recipe. If you use unsalted, be sure to season your zucchini casserole before serving.
- Ritz Crackers– Just pop these into a food processor, or stick them in a zip top bag and smash them into crumbs.
- Parmesan Cheese– You might be wondering why there is no salt in this recipe, this is why. You do not need it when you use Parmesan cheese, it adds lots of salty flavor.
- Dried Onions– Not onion powder, just keep that in mind.
That is it! You get all the delicious garden zucchini flavor with just a few simple ingredients.
How to Make Zucchini Casserole
Zucchini Casserole, halved garden zucchini topped with a flavorful cracker mixture.
- Preheat Oven + Other Prep
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
Spray a 9x 13 inch pan with non stick cooking spray, and set aside.
- Prep Zucchini
Wash zucchini and cut ends off
Bring a large pot of water to a boil, and add in zucchini.
Boil for 4-6 minutes until barely tender.
Drain water and remove zucchini to a cutting board.
Cut in half lengthwise.
- Prepare Cracker Mixture
In a large bowl mix together cracker crumbs, cheese, and dried onions.
- Assemble in Baking Dish
Arrange the garden zucchini, cut side up, in prepared baking dish.
Lightly salt the zucchini.
Sprinkle cracker mixture evenly over zucchini.
Melt the butter, and pour over the zucchini and crumbs mixture.
Bake in preheated oven for 12 minutes or until lightly browned and zucchini is tender and cooked through.
Garnish with fresh parsley if desired.
Tips and Tricks
Making this recipe is Eazy Peazy…
- Tip One: Try to use zucchini that are roughly the same size so they cook evenly, or cook larger zucchini pieces slightly longer.
- Tip Two: Use unsalted butter. And serve with salt and pepper so each person can season to their preference.
- Tip Three: Use smaller, more tender zucchini, or make accordingly, but shred zucchini.
- Tip Four: Zucchini can release a lot of water as it cooks, so pat it dry in order to keep your zucchini casserole from becoming watery.
- Tip Five: Serve it with grilled chicken and other garden favorites like caprese made with garden tomatoes.
Make Ahead and Storage
Can you make this ahead? No! You can not. It does not freeze well. The crackers get soggy, the zucchini gives out to much liquid.
Instead, prep the zucchini ahead, and the cracker mix ahead. Up to three days ahead. But then assemble and bake when ready to make.
Other Great Recipes:
There are so many fun zucchini recipes, here are a few of our favorites:
- Zucchini Brownies
- Spicy Sausage and Zucchini Skillet Ziti
- Zucchini Quick Bread
- Chicken, Bacon, Sweet Corn Zucchini Boats
- Cheesy Turkey Zucchini Casserole
- 4 medium zucchini
- 1 cup ritz crackers smashed into crumbs, 1 cup total for the crumbs, about 1 1/2 cups whole crackers
- ¼ cup parmesan cheese
- 1 tablespoon dried onions
- 6 tablespoons butter
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Spray a 9x 13 inch pan with non stick cooking spray, and set aside.
- Wash zucchini and cut ends off
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil, and add in zucchini.
- Boil for 4-6 minutes until barely tender.
- Drain water and remove zucchini to a cutting board.
- Cut in half lengthwise, and arrange, cut side up in prepared baking dish.
- Lightly salt the zucchini.
- In a large bowl mix together cracker crumbs, cheese, and dried onions.
- Sprinkle mixture evenly over zucchini.
- Melt the butter, and pour over the zucchini and crumbs mixture.
- Bake in preheated oven for 12 minutes or until lightly browned and zucchini is tender and cooked through.
- Garnish with fresh parsley if desired.
Our recipe card software calculates these nutrition facts based on averages for the above ingredients, different brands, and quality of produce/meats may have different nutritional information, always calculate your own based on the specific products you use in order to achieve accurate macros for this recipe.
Pin to your Garden Harvest board on Pinterest: