This shop has been compensated by Collective Bias, Inc. and Walmart Family Mobile. All opinions are mine alone. #DataAndAMovie #CollectiveBias
Rich lemon chicken, crisp veggies, and a golden brown fried egg roll wrapper, this is a classic dinner turned portable! Perfect for the on-the-run meal, or as an appetizer.
I absolutely love these egg rolls because we live a crazy busy life and my kids can eat these in the car, no dishes needed. How much activity is too much do you think? When I look at our day-to-day schedules I am sometimes overwhelmed by how many places I have to be, and people I have to chauffer. I feel like I spend a huge portion of my time in the car shuffling kids between school, practices, and music lessons, and then family and social engagements.
Sometimes I wonder what life would be like for me without a smart phone. I mean seriously, a lot of the times I am just chilling in my car in the parking lot while my child has a 30 minute tutoring session. Not enough time to go home, or get much done. So I respond to emails, or schedule appointments, work on the blog, pay bills, etc. I can get a lot done on my phone from the car. It makes me super grateful for mobile data.
Of course, I am not the only one who uses this data. My kids are data hogs. While one kid is at a practice or lesson, the rest of us usually use a device of some kind, whether it is to do online homework, watch a show, or play a game.
I keep trying to limit our away from home time, but with 4 kids in just one extra curricular each, plus the necessary stuff (like tutoring), it means a lot of car time. Add in 2 big extended families whom live close-ish, and well…you can see why we are always on the go.
So let’s talk about data for a minute, and then my solution for dinner on the go.
You might remember from some of my past posts that I am a big fan of Walmart Family Mobile, in fact, I am now a brand ambassador for them. Wahoo! I really do love them though. They offer pay as you go service (you pay AFTER the month, not pre-pay), have great, affordable plans, and a wide variety of phones to choose from, like the Samsung Galaxy S5. This means you aren’t compromising phone quality to use this plan. In fact, you can use any phone that takes a SIM card. Personally, I love the picture quality I get from the Samsung Galaxy S5, and the big screen! Super nice for my fat fingers. It is $349*, but there is a wide range of phones, from $20 flip phones on up. But even greater than their phone selection is they just came out with a new plan: Walmart Family Mobile PLUS.
I am seriously so excited to share it with you guys, because if you are anything like us, you will LOVE it. Walmart Family Mobile PLUS = Unlimited Talk, Text, & Data which includes up to 10GB of 4G LTE plus a free movie on VUDU every month, per line for $49.88. With 4 kids who love using data, and our on the go lifestyle, having this plan will give me the peace of mind that I won’t be getting an expensive surprise when I get my phone bill each month. Love it!
Honestly, because our weeknights are hectic, I like having reliable service that won’t cost me a fortune, that I can use at home while cooking dinner, to look up recipes, or while I am in the car waiting for someone. But I also love having quick, easy, grab and go dinner options that can be eaten in the car without muss or fuss, and that the whole family loves.
These lemon chicken egg rolls fit the bill. One great trick I learned several years ago at a cooking class is you can pre-make eggrolls and freeze them pre-frying/baking so they are ready to go, then just bake or fry the day you want them. They hold together better this way, and it really reduces the amount of time needed on a weeknight to get food ready to go.
I keep things super simple by purchasing already made eggroll wrappers, and then filling them with veggies and proteins. The packages even have folding instructions on the back usually, so if you don’t know how to fold an eggroll this can be helpful. I make eggrolls all the time, and I stink at folding them. Oh well! They may not be pretty, but they sure are tasty.
So let’s get to this recipe:
Lemon chicken in egg roll form.
10 minPrep Time
20 minCook Time
30 minTotal Time
- Oil for frying (3-4 cups)
- 1 lb boneless, skinless, chicken breast
- 1 1/2 cup matchstick carrots
- 2 cups cabbage mix (like the coleslaw mix without the sauce)
- 16 eggroll wrappers
- 2 Tbs Hoison
- 1 Tbs Oyster sauce
- 1/2 cup Fresh squeezed lemon juice
- zest of 1 lemon
- In a fryer or on the stovetop in a heavy bottom pot, pre-heat oil to 375 degrees.
- In a small bowl, mix together sauce ingredients, and set aside
- Chop chicken into small strips
- Put chicken and sauce in a medium sized skillet, and cook chicken over medium-high heat until cooked through (5 - 7 minutes)
- Remove chicken from pan, and place in a bowl. Leave as much of the sauce as you can.
- Add veggies to the sauce, and satue for 3-5 minutes until just tender.
- Assemble eggrolls by putting 1 1/2 Tbs of veggies, and a heaping Tbs of cooked chicken into the center, and folding/wrapping into an eggroll. Most eggroll wrapper packages have folding instructions.
- Place eggrolls, 3-4 at a time into hot oil, and cook until wrapper is golden brown (3-5 minutes if temperature is constant). Cut open your first eggroll, if the outside is dark but the inside of the wrapper is still raw, turn heat down a little. If it takes too long to cook, turn it up some. 375 is the ideal temp, so using a temp regulated fryer is best.
- Fry all the eggrolls and enjoy while hot.
Head to Walmart and get your phone and the Mobile PLUS plan and start enjoying your data, and dinner, on-the-go!
How will you use all that data?
*Disclaimer: All prices for phones and plans included in this post are accurate as of the date of posting; however, these prices are subject to change. Please refer to this document or your local Walmart for current pricing.
Don’t forget to pin for later: