A healthier version of BBQ Chicken Pizza. It has a whole wheat crust and is packed with healthy goodness.
I love pizza on Fridays with the kids, but it is so nice to give kids something that is healthy. I love this “Healthy Pizza for Kids” recipe. I use tons of vegetables in the sauce for that pizza, and often use it with this recipe too. However, I sometimes like using a bottled pizza sauce for when I am in a hurry.
BBQ Chicken Whole Wheat Pizza
Whole Wheat Crust
- 2 cups water warm not hot
- 4 1/2 tsp active dry yeast
- 2 tsp granulated sugar
- 2 1/2 cups white whole wheat flour
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tsp salt
- Olive oil
- 2 Tbs corn meal
- Pizza sauce of choice
- BBQ shredded chicken
- 1/3 cup chopped cilantro
- 3 sweet mini peppers sliced
- 1/2 cup pineapple slices
Whole Wheat Crust
- Combine warm water, with sugar and yeast.
- Allow yeast to proof for 5 minutes (Should bubble)
- Combine white and wheat flour in the bowl of a stand mixer, along with salt.
- With dough hook attached and mixer running on low, slowly add yeast mixture.
- Mix, increasing speed gradually, until dough pulls away from the sides of the bowl.
- Lightly grease a medium bowl with olive oil.
- Grease hands lightly and shape dough into a smooth ball.
- Transfer to prepared bowl.
- Cover and allow to rise until doubled in size, roughly 45-60 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 425°F.
- Prepare baking sheet with corn meal, and roll dough out to desired shape and thickness.
- Bake for 10 minutes.
- Remove, add toppings and bake for 15-20 minutes until desired crispness is reached.
Our recipe card software calculates these nutrition facts based on averages for the above ingredients, different brands, and quality of produce/meats may have different nutritional information, always calculate your own based on the specific products you use in order to achieve accurate macros for this recipe.
Putting corn meal on the bottom of the pizza is my fave because it makes it nice and crispy. This pizza dough is great for freezing. You can par bake it the first ten minutes, and then let it cool completely, wrap and freeze. Then the day you want to use it, just thaw, top, and bake!