Loaded Potato Dip
Are you looking for a delicious and easy-to-make dip that will wow everyone at your table? This loaded baked potato dip is it! Made with creamy sour cream, savory cheddar cheese, cream cheese, and crispy bacon, this dip is sure to be a crowd-pleaser. It tastes like what a loaded potato should taste like, and when served with potato chips, it is a real winner.
The rich and salty flavors of the bacon perfectly pair with the tanginess of the sour cream and the sharpness of the cheese, creating a taste sensation you won’t be able but help dig into.
Serve with Buffalo Wings and Crockpot Grape Jelly Meatballs for a great game day spread.
If you have never had a loaded potato you are missing out. It is essentially a baked potato that has been topped with a variety of ingredients, such as cheese, bacon, sour cream, and chives. The idea behind a loaded potato is to add flavor and texture to the potato, making it a more satisfying and flavorful dish.
Taking this idea, and turning it into a dip perfect for your NYE, Super Bowl, Tailgating, etc. parties just makes sense. And it is great as an anytime snack, or the perfect dish to take to a pot luck, as it is sure to get gobbled up.
Whether you’re hosting a party or simply looking for a tasty snack to enjoy on a lazy Sunday afternoon, this Loaded Baked Potato Dip is the perfect choice. It’s quick and easy to make, loaded with flavor, and can be served with a variety of dippers, including chips, crackers, and veggies.
What You Need to Make Loaded Baked Potato Dip
There are actually no baked potatoes in this dip, it is simply called this because it is comprised on ingredients commonly found on a loaded baked potato, and when served with potato chips, it is reminiscent of that flavor. The nice thing is, you probably have a lot of what you need already, and everything is easy to find at your local grocery store.
Ingredients for loaded potato dip:
- Cream cheese, softened
- Sour cream
- Ranch dressing mix
- Green onions, thinly sliced
- Shredded Cheddar cheese
- Bacon bits
How to Make Loaded Potato Dip
Making this dip is really simple. Here are the basic steps:
- Prepare bacon bits (see below)
- Cream together cream cheese, sour cream, and ranch seasoning packet in a large bowl, mixing until smooth.
- Stir in green onions, cheddar cheese, and bacon bits.
- Cover and refrigerate overnight before serving
How to make Your Own Bacon Bits
Making bacon bits is really simple! You can buy them already made. But we all know homemade is always tastier, so here is a simple step-by-step guide to help you make delicious bacon bits at home:
- Bacon slices
- Preheat your oven to 375°F (190°C).
- Chop your bacon slices into small, bite-sized pieces.
- Carefully spread out and arrange the bacon pieces in a single layer on a baking sheet. Separate them the best you can. This will help you get better and crispier bacon bits.
- Place the baking sheet in the preheated oven and bake for 15-20 minutes, or until the bacon is crispy and browned.
- Remove the bacon from the oven and let it cool for a 2-3 minutes on the tray, it will continue to crisp.
- Use a slotted spoon to transfer the bacon bits to a paper towel-lined plate to remove excess grease.
- Let bacon bits cool. If needed, chop to even smaller in size for whatever you are serving them with.
How to Make Your Own Ranch Packet
You can buy ranch seasoning mixes in packets, or even in a canister and simply measure out a few tablespoons. Or you can make your own, and just use a couple tablespoons of it. Here is how to make your own ranch mix:
- 1/3 cup dried buttermilk powder
- 2 tablespoons dried parsley
- 2 teaspoons dried dill weed
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 2 teaspoons onion powder
- 1 teaspoon dried chives
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- In a small bowl, whisk together the dried buttermilk powder, dried parsley, dried dill weed, garlic powder, onion powder, dried chives, salt, and black pepper until well combined.
- Store the ranch seasoning mix in an airtight container until ready to use. Use as desired.
Dippers for Loaded Potato Dip
One of the things I love about this loaded baked potato dip is it can be served with a number of different dipping options. The best option is POTATO CHIPS! As that is what brings the potato part in. But if you want a lower calorie option, or just want to mix things up, here are some fun dipper ideas:
- Pita chips
- Vegetable crudités, such as sliced carrots, celery, bell peppers, or cucumber
- Crackers, such as oyster crackers or butter crackers
- Pretzel sticks
- Bread cubes
- Baguette slices
- Bagel chips
- Tortilla chips
All of these are great dipper options because they are sturdy enough to hold the dip and do not have a lot of flavor that will overpower the amazing flavors found in this loaded baked potato dip.
Tips and Tricks
Here are some tips for making a delicious and satisfying loaded potato dip:
- Use high-quality ingredients: The key to a great loaded potato dip is to use high-quality ingredients. Look for fresh, flavorful sour cream, cream cheese, crispy bacon, and sharp cheese, and use the best brands and options you can find. Use fresh chives. Basically the better quality the individual ingredients, the better end result.
- Cook the bacon until it is crispy: Since the bacon is a bit part of this dip, the key here is to get it nice and crispy. Otherwise, when mixed in with the dip it will not be good. Over-crispy is your goal so the bacon holds its texture, and gives the dip some satisfying crunch along with the salty, smoky flavor.
- Get the cream cheese to room temp before mixing: This is going to make for a smoother dip as room temperature cream cheese combines more easily with the other ingredients. You want this for a better consistency.
- Season the dip to taste: While I recommend an ounce of ranch seasoning mix, everyone has different preferences and taste. Before serving the loaded potato dip, season it to taste with the ranch seasoning mix, adding more if desired. And possibly even add in some salt and pepper to make it how you like it.
Following these tips, will make for a more delicious and satisfying loaded potato dip, sure to be the hit of your next party or gathering. This tasty dip is easy to make, and it is sure to be a favorite with your guests.
Make Ahead and Storage
You can make loaded potato dip ahead of time. In fact, making the dip ahead of time can be a good idea, as it will allow the flavors to meld and develop. However, if you are going to make it ahead you want to change a couple of things: follow the recipe as directed, mixing together all of the ingredients except the bacon and green onion, which will lose crispiness if added ahead, or can go bad quickly. Then before serving, mix those in.
Transfer the loaded dip to a serving dish. Cover the dish with plastic wrap and store it in the refrigerator for up to 2 days.
When you are ready to serve, remove it from the refrigerator and let it come to room temp by allowing it to sit for 20-30 minutes. Then you can stir in the bacon and chives and it will be the perfect dipping consistency.
Serve the loaded dip with your favorite dippers, such as potato chips or crackers, and enjoy.
Other Great Recipes:
WANT MORE EZPZ? Subscribe to my newsletter and follow along on Facebook, Pinterest and Instagram for all of the latest updates.
Loaded potato dip
- 8 ounces cream cheese softened
- 8 ounces sour cream
- 1 ounce ranch dressing mix
- 3 green onions thinly sliced
- 1 cup shredded Cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup bacon bits
- In a medium sized bowl, combine cream cheese, sour cream, and ranch dressing mix and whisk together until smooth.
- Stir in green onions, Cheddar cheese, and bacon bits.
- Cover and refrigerate overnight before serving for best flavor and consistency.
Our recipe card software calculates these nutrition facts based on averages for the above ingredients, different brands, and quality of produce/meats may have different nutritional information, always calculate your own based on the specific products you use in order to achieve accurate macros for this recipe.
Pin to your Dip board on Pinterest:
Leave a Reply