Bumble Bee® Kid friendly “Sushi” rolls make this an authentic feeling bento box your kids will love! And an easy lunch solution for moms.
It is that time of year again, where moms sigh in relief, and kids get excited to put on new clothes, see old friends, and be in the classroom, even if they aren’t exactly excited about learning. But what about lunch?
Lunch is one of those things that can be troubling for moms. I know I sometimes just want to have the kids eat the school provided lunch. But they get sick of it. I have come up with a number of ways to combat the back-to-school lunch battle. Bento boxes are one of my go-to lunch options!
But I still find myself getting stuck in a lunch rut, and looking for new lunch options that are healthy and tasty for my kids. What should I put in that bento box? How about Tuna?
Tuna is something that is so great for kids, but I always feel like I am getting lost in how to serve it. The bento box means I can give my kids a little of this, a little of that. And they eat so much better. Especially my picky little eaters. So, I thought, “What better way to serve tuna fish then as kid-friendly sushi?” And it fits my bento theme so well.
These look like work, but they are really easy to make, and taste awesome. The kids loved them, and I filled the rest of the bento box with other healthy fun eats the kids enjoy: blueberries, grapes, applesauce, and a granola bar.
- 5 ounces Bumble Bee® Premium Albacore Tuna or Light Tuna in either pouches or cans
- 1 Tbs lemon juice
- 1 tsp dill
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Cheese slices
- Sandwich stacker pickles
- Carrot match sticks
- Cucumber matchsticks
- Chopsticks optional
- Put your bread on a cutting board or solid surface, cut off crust, and using a rolling pin, flatten it.
- Place it on a piece of plastic wrap
- Put a slice of cheese over bread
- Mix together the tuna, lemon, and dill, then add salt and pepper to taste preference
- Spread over bread/cheese, leaving about a cm on one end uncovered
- Put a line of carrot matchsticks (about a half cm wide) down the bread
- Next put a sandwich stacker pickle next to the carrots
- Feel free to add other veggies if your child likes them: pepper slices, cucumbers, sweet potatoes all make great additions
- Roll into a sushi roll using the plastic wrap to help
- Slice into pieces
I used these awesome water-pouches from Bumble Bee® which were easy and great. You don’t have to drain them. Use either Bumble Bee® Premium Albacore Tuna or Light Tuna. They come in a few different sizes, so you can use a couple of the 2.5 ounce pouches, one 5 ounce pouch, or Bumble Bee® also offers tuna in a can. So take your pick!
If you want to get your kids even more excited about eating everything in their bento box, let them help make the sushi rolls! And serve them with chopsticks! Seriously. My kids will eat almost anything if they get to eat it with chopsticks.
What are your favorite ways to use tuna? I could definitely use some new ideas.
If you feel the same, check out the Bumble Bee®’s custom recipes you can find here. They are mouthwatering!
I was selected for this opportunity as a member of Clever Girls Collective and the content and opinions expressed here are all my own.