Crockpot Philly Cheesesteak (Keto)
Crockpot Philly Cheesesteak (Keto) is a low carb, easy to make crockpot recipe that is a crowd pleasing dish. Tender slices of steak smothered in gooey cheese and accompanied with peppers, onions, mushrooms, and all the best seasonings makes for a fun, flavorful dish.
This Philly cheesesteak crockpot recipe is easy to make, prep is minimal and fast, and can conveniently be made into a freezer meal for later use too. Philly cheesesteak crockpot is one the best ways to make Philly cheesesteak because you can let it cook and forget about it. Making it a simple hands off meal, and a dinner solution for busy nights.
I love a dish that is not only yummy but low carb too. And with this crockpot Philly cheesesteak accompanied with this fabulous Keto Buns recipe, there is no need to make concessions with any part of the dish. You can have the whole Philly cheesesteak experience and still have a keto friendly meal.
How to Make Your “Buns” Keto?
No point in having a delicious keto friendly Philly cheesesteak dish just to ruin it with a high carb bun. That would just be so disappointing.
Don’t worry my friend I have a solution for you. I have a recipe for a delicious bun that is low carb too!
Ingredients For Keto Friendly Bun:
- Mozzarella Cheese
- Pepper Jack Cheese
- Cream Cheese
- Almond Flour
- Baking Powder
- Italian Seasoning
- Garlic Powder
Notice instead of traditional flour the recipe uses almond flour and additional ingredients like cream cheese and other yummy cheeses too.
No settling or compromises made with this great recipe!
Directions for Keto Buns:
- Preheat oven.
- Microwave all your cheeses, including cream cheese.
- Mix all ingredients with microwave ingredients.
- Once smooth divide dough into 8 pieces and flatten with rolling pin into a rectangle.
- Lay each piece of dough on a piece of parchment paper sprayed with cooking spray.
- Transfer dough on parchment onto a baking sheet and bake for 10-12 minutes.
This dough is super duper easy. For more detailed instructions see recipe at the end.
What Is a Fathead Dough?
This keto buns recipe is a fathead dough.
A fathead dough is going to be your new favorite dough. It’s a low carb dream.
Basic Fathead Dough Ingredients:
- Cheese and Cream Cheese
- Nut Flour
- Leavening Agent like Baking Soda or Baking Soda (sometimes)
A fathead dough is both high in fat and low carb too. It’s also a gluten free dough with such delicious ingredients that you won’t even miss a traditional bread dough.
Whether or not you have gluten or carb restrictions it is a very fun dough to work with.
Substitutions For Buns:
Buns can be the downfall to some sandwiches when you are trying to reduce calories or keep things low carb. Well don’t worry your kitchen your rules.
You don’t have to eat a traditional bun with your sandwich if you don’t want to, or use the keto buns. It may feel like a rule sometimes to eat a traditional bun, but remind yourself it’s not.
There are plenty of substitutions.
- Fathead Dough. Follow this simple Keto Bun recipe and make yourself a low carb bun. (Listed above)
- Cauliflower Bun. Make another low carb dough for a bun. Make it out of nut flour, eggs, parmesan, and riced cauliflower. So much can be done with cauliflower. It really is such a magical ingredient.
- Egg Plant. Bread is not a must for a sandwich. Cut an egg plant into about 1 inch thick circles and grill the egg plant or bake it. Use the grilled or baked egg plant as a bun replacement.
- Lettuce. I love cutting down the calories or carbs in a meal and replacing the bun with some lettuce. Lettuce wraps are awesome, but a sandwich a burger or Philly steak in between two crisp pieces of lettuce–even better. You will get a nice crunch added to your meal. Plus lettuce makes a lot of sense as a substitute. People eat lettuce wraps all the time and lettuce is a go to topping already on a lot of sandwiches.
- Portobello Mushroom Cap. Like mushrooms? Use portobello mushroom caps as the bun. There you have it. No excuses of being limited to only high carb options when it comes to a delicious sandwich. That simply is just not the case.
What You Need For Crockpot Philly Cheesesteak (Keto):
Just thinking about this Philly cheesesteak crockpot recipe and my mouth is already starting to water. Let’s talk ingredients.
- Beef Sirloin
- Bell Peppers
- Fresh Mushrooms
- Low-Sodium Beef Broth
- Steak Seasoning
- Garlic Powder
- Provolone Cheese
- Parsley for Garnish
Note: Ingredients for Keto Buns already listed in previous section.
How To Make Crock Pot Philly Cheesesteaks:
This is such an easy dish. You ready? Because if you blink too fast you might miss the steps.
- Slice veggies and meat.
- Add all filling ingredients to the slow cooker and stir to mix well.
- Cook high 2-3 hours, low 4-6.
3 simple steps and you are ready to go with the Philly steak filling.
If you are making Keto Buns you would make them while the filling is cooking. See above section or recipe at the end for instructions on this.
- Once filling is done, lay baked buns out on a baking sheet, top with filling, cover each with 2 slices of provolone cheese.
- Broil in oven for 2 minutes, or until cheese is melted. Watch closely so as not burn.
- Garnish with parsley and serve open faced.
In a Nutshell:
- Prep veggies and meat.
- Throw filling ingredients in the crockpot.
- Make Keto Buns
Can These Be Made Ahead?
Absolutely! Slice and dice ingredients earlier that day and put filing mixture in the fridge. Take out when ready to put in the crockpot.
Or, make this meal really, really ahead and freeze for later.
Storing and Freezing Instructions:
- Cut meat and veggies. Do not cook.
- Put all ingredients in a freezer bag.
- When planning for dinner, take out of freezer with enough time to defrost in fridge.
- Cook in crockpot as normal.
Freezing Keto Buns:
- Make Dough.
- Roll Dough Into a Ball.
- Cover with Plastic Wrap.
- When ready to use, thaw and follow the rest of the directions for the recipe.
Obviously there are a lot of different sides that partner well with a Philly cheesesteak sandwich. However, many are not low carb.
Good news though there are a lot of low carb delicious side choices.
Keto Friendly Sides:
- Easy Tomato Soup (keto)
- Bacon Wrapped Asparagus
- Dill Dip with Cucumbers
- Easy Guacamole with Bell Peppers
For more keto friendly side options, check out Keto Snacks.
Any of these would go great with Crockpot Philly Cheesesteak (Keto)!
Crockpot Philly Cheesesteak (Keto) is an Easy Family Friendly Meal!
Whether you are counting carbs or just want an easy, delicious meal, this crockpot Philly cheesesteak recipe is the perfect option. Minimal prep, flavorful meal, and low carb too, this Crockpot Philly cheesesteak (Keto) is a must add to your dinner rotation.
Other Great Keto Friendly Dishes:
- Keto White Chicken Chili
- Breakfast Hash (Keto)
- Keto Chicken Biryani
- Keto Pizza
- Keto Meatballs Skillet
Crockpot Philly Cheesesteak (Keto)
- 2 lbs beef sirloin sliced thin
- 2 green bell pepper sliced
- 4 oz fresh mushrooms sliced
- 1 large onion sliced
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1/3 cup low-sodium beef broth
- 2 tsps steak seasoning
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- ¼ tsp paprika
- 1 cup Shredded Mozzarella Cheese
- 1 cup Pepper Jack Cheese
- 2 Tablespoons cream cheese
- 1 cup Blanched Almond Flour
- 1 egg large
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 8 slices provolone cheese
- Parsley for garnish
- Add all the filling ingredients to the slow cooker and stir to mix well.
- Cook high 2-3 hours, low 4-6.
- Meanwhile prepare the buns by pre-heating the oven to 450F.
- Add mozzarella, pepper jack cheese, and cream cheese to a large microwave-safe bowl. Microwave for 45 seconds.
- Take cheese mixture from microwave, and add egg, blanched almond flour, baking powder, Italian seasoning, and garlic to the bowl. Then mix it with a spoon.
- Continue to mix until smooth. It takes a minute, but it will come together.
- Once smooth, divide into 8 even sized pieces.
- Lay each piece of dough on a piece of parchment paper sprayed with cooking spray. Then cover with a second sprayed piece of sprayed parchment paper.
- Use a rolling pin to flatten out the dough until it is ¼ inch to ½ inch thick, and in the shape of a rectangle.
- If it is not in the right shape, simply remove the top piece of parchment paper and use greased hands to shape into desired shape.
- Transfer the dough on parchment paper to a baking sheet and bake for 10 minutes to 12 minutes.
- Once buns and filling are done, lay 4 of the baked buns out on a baking sheet, top with filling, cover each with 2 slices of provolone cheese.
- Broil in the oven for 2 minutes, or until cheese is melted, watch closely so as not to burn.
- Garnish with fresh parsley, and serve as open faced keto philly cheesesteaks.
Our recipe card software calculates these nutrition facts based on averages for the above ingredients, different brands, and quality of produce/meats may have different nutritional information, always calculate your own based on the specific products you use in order to achieve accurate macros for this recipe.
Pin to your Dinner board on Pinterest: