Pop Hearts- Homemade Pop Tarts
The most fun, 3 ingredients, “Pop Hearts”, or in other words, buttery, flakey, raspberry homemade pop tarts. Indulge in these fresh, homemade, but oh so simple, raspberry filled pop tarts! Crispy and flaky on the outside, warm and gooey and tart raspberry on the inside, each bite is bursting with flavor, and they take only minutes to make.
Serve with Mango Green Smoothie for a totally delicious and flavorful breakfast!
When it comes to easy recipes, this one takes the cake! Here are a few reasons we can’t get enough of it:
- So easy to make.
- Only 3 ingredients.
So we need any more reasons to try these simple homemade pop tarts? I think not.
What You Need to Make Homemade Pop Tarts
These “pop hearts” or heart shaped homemade pop tarts are ridiculously easy to make with only 3 simple ingredients:
- Pie Crust-you can buy a refrigerated, ready to un-roll crust, or make your own homemade pie crust
- Jam– For this fun Valentine’s Treat, we opted for a raspberry jam, but you can choose a different jam filling if you’d like.
- Egg– to make an egg wash and help it get golden brown.
- Heart Shaped Cookie Cutters – You need two sizes, one larger and one smaller
- Baking Sheet
How to Make Pop Hearts
Making Homemade pop tarts is super simple, so let’s look at the easy steps.
Step One: Preheat the Oven
Preheat your oven to 425 degrees F.
Step Two: Cut Out Pop Tart Shape
For this recipe, I used heart cookie cutters, but you can cut the pie crust into rectangles or hearts, or whatever shape you want.
Step Three: Fill Center of Half the Hearts with Raspberry Jam
Top half your hearts with the filling of your choice. For these pop tarts, I am using raspberry jam.
- Strawberry jam
- Lemon curd
- Chocolate Fudge Sauce
Step Four: Cut Out Peekaboo Top and Egg Wash
Take the remaining hearts, and cut out a slightly smaller heart to make a peekaboo window.
Egg wash the edges of the pie crust topped with the jam. Then top with the peekaboo windows.
Seal the edges of the peekaboo topper with the bottom by pressing it together, or crimping it with a fork.
Step Five: Bake
Bake the filled pop hearts on a baking sheet at 425 degrees for 10-13 minutes until golden brown.
This recipe is so perfect for Valentine’s Day or just a fun breakfast and I love pairing it with Pina Colada Fruit Salad or a nice Sunrise Smoothie for a festive breakfast.
Tips and Tricks
Making this recipe is Eazy Peazy. But here is what you should know:
- Cookie cutters: the real key to making these extra fun is the peekaboo crust top. And the way you get this is by cutting a smaller heart out of a larger one. Find the perfect cookie cutters for this on amazon.
- Customize: Fill your pop hearts (homemade pop tarts) with your favorite flavor profile. Because I made these for Valentine’s Day initially I used raspberry jam to get that red color and holiday flavor. But since we have made them over and over, and have used Nutella, lemon curd, orange marmalade (not my fave), and more. So customize to your preference.
- Use the Scraps: Because you cut out the center out of some of the hearts to form the peekaboo, you will have dough scraps let. Don’t let them go to waste, instead, use the egg to wash them as well, and sprinkle them with cinnamon and sugar, and bake alongside the pop hearts. They are smaller so will bake quicker, so pull them out early, or be prepared for them to be a little crispier.
Other Great Recipes:
- Lemon Cupcakes with Lemon Raspberry Buttercream
- Raspberry Pistachio Shortbread Bars
- Raspberry 7UP® Punch Recipe
- Banana Creme Pie
- Strawberry Swirl Cheesecake Bars
- Lemon Raspberry Cheesecake
WANT MORE EZPZ? Subscribe to my newsletter and follow along on Facebook, Pinterest and Instagram for all of the latest updates.
- heart shaped cookie cutter
- slightly smaller heart shaped cookie cutter
- 1 ready-to-unroll piecrust refrigerated
- 1 egg large
- 4 teaspoons raspberry jam
- Preheat the oven 425 degrees F. Spray a baking sheet with non-stick cooking spray, or line with parchment paper.
- Unroll the piecrust on a clean work surface, and cut 8 hearts out of the crust.
- Then using a smaller heart-shaped cookie cutter, cut a smaller heart out of the center of 4 of the hearts to create a peekaboo crust.
- Break an egg into a bowl, and use a fork to whip the egg up. Set aside.
- Spread one teaspoon of raspberry jam on the center of the 4 remaining hearts. Then brush exposed edges with the egg.
- Put the peekaboo crusts on top of the raspberry covered hearts. Seal the edges by pressing them firmly, or crimping them with a fork.
- Transfer the homemade pie crusts to a prepared baking sheet.
- Bake 10 to 13 minutes or until golden brown.
- Transfer to wire racks to cool.
Drizzle with icing or chocolate for a fun twist.
Our recipe card software calculates these nutrition facts based on averages for the above ingredients, different brands, and quality of produce/meats may have different nutritional information, always calculate your own based on the specific products you use in order to achieve accurate macros for this recipe.
Pin to your Holiday board on Pinterest:
Leave a Reply