Homemade chips, savory beef, melty cheese, caramelized onions, and delicious jalapeños and other toppings make these nachos the perfect game day food, or perfect for anytime you want something delicious.
The other night I was really craving nachos. It didn’t help that I had watched the YouTube video (below) showing 3 different types of nachos, but the thing was, I had NO chips. What I did have was a bunch of corn tortillas. So I decided to make my own chips and give in to my nacho craving.
Beef and Caramelized Onion NachosPrint Pin Rate
- 10 corn tortillas
- Oil for frying
- 1/2 lb Ground beef
- 1 tbs dried onion flakes
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1/2 tsp garlic salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1 yellow onion
- 1 Tbs water
- 1/2 cup asiago cheese
- 1/2 cup mozzarella cheese
Garnish (to preference)
- Mezzetta jalapenos
- Chopped tomatoes
- Sour cream
- Cut onion into thin slices, then put in a heavy bottom saute pan drizzled with olive oil, and spread them evenly across the bottom. Add the water. Then cook covered over medium heat for 15-20 minutes until browning. (Cook longer for deeper caramelization)
- Meanwhile, heat oil to 375 degrees. Cut tortillas into "chips" shape, and fry a few at a time until they turn golden brown, remove from oil, and place on paper towel.
- Mix ground beef, onion flakes, onion powder, garlic salt, and black pepper together, then brown ground beef in a medium fry pan over medium high heat, drain off any fat.
- Preheat oven to broil
- Place chips in a skillet, and top with cooked ground beef and caramelized onions, and sprinkle the cheeses evenly across the top
- Place into the oven and broil for 4-5 minutes until cheese is melted and bubbly (don't burn)
- Remove, top with your favorite garnish and enjoy.
Don’t forget to pin for later: