A hearty chicken tortilla soup using #SuddenlySalad grains, and fresh tomatoes. Great for #MealPrep day, or anytime!
Have you guys seen Suddenly Salad at your local grocery store? I ran across it this past week, and bought a couple varieties, and I have to say, I really love it.
The Suddenly Grain Salad is probably meant to be made into a salad. Duh. And is meant to be served cold, which means it is great for things like meal prep and packing for lunches. But I had my air conditioner up too high, and well, I really wanted some warm, cozy, comforting soup! And I really wanted the soup to be hearty, and full of delicious flavor, so I figured I would see if it would work with the Suddenly Grain Salad.
Oh my goodness! You guys! I loved the results. It was seriously easy, and this is a soup I will definitely be making again.
I cooked the Southwest version of the Suddenly Grain Salads, and while it was boiling I diced up some fresh tomatoes, put them in a pot with some water, and a few of my favorite spices, like cumin, garlic, and chili, then added the seasoning/dressing packet from the Suddenly Grain Salads box. I was a bit hesitant, but it added some nice flavor, with a bit of tartness and zing.
I let it simmer so the flavors could meld.
I had a couple chicken breasts, so I grilled them and chunked them up. Then I tossed them in the pot with the tomatoes. By then the grains pouch was done cooking, so I added it to the pot, and wah-la! Amazing, hearty, soup with brown rice and quinoa! And it took about 20 minutes total to make it!
I did not eat it all that night, so I put it in the fridge and had some for lunch the next day too. It kept really well, and the flavors were even better the next day. I love the idea of using these salad starters in meal prep. You could cook a few, and make a pot of soup like I did, a cold salad with a few mix-ins like it shows on the box, and maybe some kind of skillet meal too.
Brown Rice and Quinoa Chicken Tortilla Soup
- 3 large tomatoes beefsteak, or any garden variety that is full fleshed and flavorful Or use one can of diced tomatoes
- 2 cups water
- 1/2 Tbs garlic granules
- 1/2 Tbs chili powder
- 1/2 Tbs cumin
- 1 box Suddenly Grain Salad Southwest
- 2 cups cooked chicken Rotisserie, chicken breast, etc.
- Sour Cream
- Tortilla chips
- Prepare grains in the Suddenly Grain Salad according to package directions.
- While grains are cooking, dice tomatoes, reserving any juice, and put in medium sized sauce pan with water and seasonings.
- Add in the seasoning/dressing packet from the Suddenly Salad box, and stir well. Heat on medium heat, bring to a boil, then turn down and let simmer.
- When grains are done, rinse, and add into the sauce pan.
- Add cooked chicken, let simmer an additional 5 minutes, and serve.
- Garnish as desired.
Our recipe card software calculates these nutrition facts based on averages for the above ingredients, different brands, and quality of produce/meats may have different nutritional information, always calculate your own based on the specific products you use in order to achieve accurate macros for this recipe.