Thank you DiscoverOhio and Experience Columbus for the complimentary gift cards, hotel stays, and activities to help facilitate this post. All opinions are my own.
Fudge chocolate brownies, creamy peanut butter, and chocolate ganache, make these Buckeye Brownies something to cheer for!
This past summer I went on a 30 day road trip with my kids! One of our stops was Columbus, OH, on the way we stopped in Dayton and Yellow Springs. We were in the heart of Buckeye country, and enjoyed every minute of it. Which is what inspired these tasty brownies, and the layered goodness of chocolate and peanut butter.
We had so much fun during our stay in the Columbus area, visiting amazing properties, eating amazing food, and learning all sorts of things.
We had an amazing afternoon an evening at Young’s Jersey Dairy, which is an operational dairy, restaurant, and family fun destination! This was our favorite stop during our trip, and one that has inspired several recipes, including these ridiculously tasty Buckeye Brownies.
While at Young’s we enjoyed a Buckeye Ice Cream Sundae, and I have been dreaming about it since. Hence the brownies. Mmmm
Read all about our time at Young’s Jersey Dairy here.
We stayed at the Drury Inn and Suites, an amazing family friendly hotel with a great breakfast, and light dinner offered in the lobby, popcorn and fountain drinks offered daily from 3-10 pm, as well as awesome rooms!
Read about our stay, and why I think anyone withe kids should consider a stay at Drury Inn and Suites here.
We had the most amazing time enjoying the Roar & Explore Package, which includes tickets to COSI hands-on science museum and the Columbus Zoo and Aquarium. Cosi is must see! And if you intend to visit the Columbus Zoo, give yourself a couple days. You will need it. It has a waterpark in addition to huge zoo and aquarium. Yep, you read that right! My kids were so torn about where to spend their time.
Our favorite part of the zoo was the Heart of Africa!
As you can see, we had an amazing time in Columbus, and I have to admit, I was happy to be in Buckeye Country, if for nothing else than enjoying loads of Buckeye Balls with peanut butter and chocolate galore. I highly recommend a visit to anyone who wants to have action packed days of adventure and learning with their family.
I also highly recommend the brownies. They are simple to make, and a real crowd pleaser!
- 1 brownie mix or recipe for The Best Brownies Ever
Peanut Butter Layer
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 1/4 cups creamy peanut butter
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter softened
- 1 1/3 cup milk chocolate chips
- 1 Tbs heavy whipping cream
- 5 Tbs butter
- pinch of salt
- Make brownies in a 9x13 pan according to package direction, and let cool.
- In a large bowl, use hand beaters to mix together peanut butter layer ingredients until well incorporated and creamy.
- Spoon peanut butter mixture over brownies, and use a spatula to make an even layer
- In a medium sized sauce plan, over medium heat, combine all ganache ingredients, and stir until chocolate is melted and everything is incorporated.
- Pour chocolate ganache over the peanut butter.
- Refrigerate at least 30 minutes to give everything a chance to set up before slicing.
- Best served chilled.
Our recipe card software calculates these nutrition facts based on averages for the above ingredients, different brands, and quality of produce/meats may have different nutritional information, always calculate your own based on the specific products you use in order to achieve accurate macros for this recipe.