Chocolate Peppermint Bark Molten Mug Cake
©Eazy Peazy Mealz by EazyPeazyMealz.com
Pin it to your Dessert board to SAVE it for later!
Follow Eazy Peazy Mealz on Pinterest for more great tips, ideas and recipes!
The holidays sort of snuck up on me. It is not even Thanksgiving yet, but I took my youngest to the mall the other day to pick out a birthday present, and well…Santa was already there. Honestly, I was super surprised. As you know, I am a MAJOR holiday enthusiast, but it made me just a little bit sad that He was already there. I mean, we haven’t had Thanksgiving yet.
But want to know what did NOT make me sad? That the Hallmark Gold Crown already had Crafters & Co. Peppermint Bark! My daughter loves their stuffed animal collection, and I went in intending to get her a Minnie Mouse (she is obsessed) and the Minnie Baking Kit, which is totally cute. But instead of just getting those few things I walked out with a sack full. And you better believe in that sack was a big old tin of Crafters & Co. Peppermint bark along with the cutest little Itty Bitty’s Star Wars characters, to use as gifts for some of the Star Wars lovers in my life.
Anyway, I didn’t even make it a day before I cracked open the tin and started tasting Christmas! After I snarfed half the package I thought it would be super fun to use some of the peppermint bark to try and make a lava cake. I could just imagine the ooey, gooey, running chocolate and peppermint nestled in a delightful chocolate cake barrier.
BUT…I really did not want a whole cake. So I opted to make a mug cake instead. I had found a great lava mug cake recipe a while back from CleoButtera, and thought I would try using the peppermint bark in it! Total success.
And I can’t even begin to tell you how easy this mug cake is to make. In fact, I am not going to bother telling you, I am just going to show you:
Chocolate Peppermint Molten Mug Cake
- 1/4 cup flour
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- Pinch of salt
- 3 tablespoons 11/2oz melted butter
- 1/4 tsp peppermint extract
- 3 tablespoons whole milk at room temperature
- 1 egg at room temperature
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 ounce Crafters & Co. Peppermint Bark Get it at Hallmark Gold Crown Stores
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1/2 ounce Peppermint Bark
- 1 Tbs Whipped cream
- In a 2 cup capacity or larger mug, whisk flour, sugar, cocoa powder, baking powder and salt with a fork until combined.
- Add in the melted butter, peppermint extract, milk, egg and vanilla.
- Use your fork to whisk until it is well combined, and no flour mixture is stuck to the bottom.
- Take pieces of peppermint bark and place into the center of the mug, it will sink, so no need to push it down.
- Dump a tablespoon of water on top of the batter. Do not mix it.
- Cook in microwave on full power for 1 minute and 20 seconds to 2 minutes, until the cake rises to the top, the edges look set but the center looks just a little bit wet, every microwave is different, so touch the center, it should be a little sticky, but not outright wet.
- If you want a molten interior, do not over bake. Check at the 1 minute 20 second interval, and add 5-10 seconds at a time until desired doneness is reached.
- Remove from microwave and let it cool 3-5 minutes, cake will fall, but it will help you to not burn your tongue.
- Top with additional peppermint bark and whipped cream if desired.
Our recipe card software calculates these nutrition facts based on averages for the above ingredients, different brands, and quality of produce/meats may have different nutritional information, always calculate your own based on the specific products you use in order to achieve accurate macros for this recipe.
Be sure to pin for later: