Cinnamon swirled soft pretzel with a fantastic cream cheese dipping sauce. It is like the best of both worlds: Cinnamon Roll and Soft Pretzel!
You guys, I love soft pretzels. I was making some so I could share them over on Handle the Heat, and while I made a savory pretzel for my guest post, I decided to make a sweet pretzel for me. The holidays are over but I have yet to kick my sweet tooth. And this pretzel concoction did not help at all.
These went through several versions before I reached what I was looking for, a chewy outside and a soft pillowy inside, swirls of rich cinnamon and sugar, and the perfect dip! I basically want to eat these for every single snack. And with good reason. They are delicious!
Do not let the length of this recipe scare you. It is SOOOO easy to make. I just wanted to make sure every detail of how to make them was clear, which makes the directions really long. But trust me, you can do this, and it is super easy to make too!
Cinnamon Roll Soft Pretzels
- 1 1/2 cups warm water
- 1 Tbs white sugar
- 1 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 Tbs active dry yeast
- 4-4 1/2 cups all purpose flour
- 4 Tbs melted butter
- 2 Tbs brown sugar
- 1/2 Tbs cinnamon
- 9 cups water
- 2/3 cup baking soda
- 1 large egg
- 1 tbs water
- 4 Tbs melted butter
- 1/2 cup white sugar
- 1 Tbs cinnamon
- 4 ounces softened cream cheese
- 3/4 cup powdered sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla
- In a mixer with dough hook, combine warm water, white sugar, salt, and yeast. Mix for about 10 seconds.
- Let sit for 5 minutes to proof yeast. Make sure the yeast is bubbly. If it doesn't start again. Your water should be warm, not hot, as hot can kill the yeast.
- Slowly add in flour and butter while mixer is going.
- When dough starts to pull away from the sides, you have enough flour
- Let knead for 5-7 minutes. This is very important as it gives the gluten a chance to activate. So set a timer. The dough should all be in one ball, and the sides should be clean.
- Take dough out of mixing bowl, coat in olive oil and return to mixing bowl, cover and let rise until double (Approx 1 hr in warm kitchen)
- Once risen, mix the brown sugar and cinnamon together, and using your mixer with hook, swirl it through the dough (Should look marbled)
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees F
- In a large pot bring 9 cups of water and 2/3 cup baking soda to a boil
- While waiting for it to boil, separate dough into 12 equal pieces, and roll into pretzel twists
- Once boiling, drop twists, one at a time into boiling water for 30 seconds.
- Remove and place on a parchment lined baking sheet
- Mix up egg wash by whisking together 1 large egg and water, brush over the top of the pretzels
- Bake at 450 for 11-12 minutes
- Remove from baking tray to cooling rack, while cooling, mix together sugar and cinnamon, and melt butter
- Dip pretzels in melted butter (or brush it over the top), and dip in cinnamon and sugar mixture
- Mix up frosting and use it as a dip. Enjoy!
Our recipe card software calculates these nutrition facts based on averages for the above ingredients, different brands, and quality of produce/meats may have different nutritional information, always calculate your own based on the specific products you use in order to achieve accurate macros for this recipe.
If you love soft pretzels be sure to check out this savory version: Sun Dried Tomato and Cheese Soft Pretzels.
These soft pretzels are really good too and don’t require any boiling time.