The other day I sat down to eat and realized my food was already cold. Between grabbing napkins that hadn’t been set, mopping up the cup of water that had spilled, and refilling it so the little would have a drink with dinner, answering a million questions, and who knows what else, by the time I sat down, and got my first bite, my dinner was cold.
Totally normal. Right? I am sure other moms relate.
I find myself constantly wolfing my food down because I never know when I am going to have a second to eat, or if something will interrupt my next bite or not. If I want a chance to finish my meal I better eat fast. Especially if I want to eat while the food is still warm.
We call it the “quick and the hungry” at our house.
This is a horrible habit, and one I am trying to break. Stressful eating, and gobbling down food does not promote health. Here are a few reasons to slow down:
- Weight loss: When you eat slower you consume fewer calories.
- Enjoyment: Slowing down and tasting your food fully is more pleasurable than rushing through a meal.
- Less Stress: Mindless eating is a stressor. Be conscious of the exercise, and it will reduce stress.
- Improved digestion: Eating at the proper pace lets your body have a chance to signal when it is full.
- Improved health: Studies show slower eating means better absorption of nutrients, better appetite regulation, and improved satiety, all of which promote better health.
Have you heard of the Slow Food Movement? It was started in Italy, and was designed to counter the fast food movement. They have a manifesto, and it embraces a lifestyle that is not so fast paced, starting at the table and how we eat. Check it out here. I love this idea, and while it is not exactly a great fit for me, I am trying it.
This leads to today’s challenge.
Day 15 Mini- Challenge: Chew Slowly.
Chewing is the first stage of digestion. Chewing slowly and thoroughly means better absorption of nutrients, better digestion, and fewer side effects like gas and bloating. So today, consciously chew that food!
Want something amazing to chew on? Try this Beef Barbacoa.
Have you ever made beef barbacoa in the crock pot? It is really easy, and very versatile. you can use it is burritos, tacos, nachos, salads, or just plain!
I love this flavor because it adds depth to the dish, but it is not overpowering, so you can enjoy it with other ingredients.
My favorite way to use it is griddle tacos, but then again, that is my favorite way to use just about any meat. This freezes well, so you can use it for freezer burritos and enchiladas just fine!