Seriously cute Mashed Potato Ghosts are the perfect addition to any Halloween dinner party!
I love the idea of making Halloween themed food all through October, but that does not mean it has to be all treats, goodies, and sugar. I served these darling little ghosts with Meatloaf Minis and it was a hit.
When making your mashed potatoes, don’t forget this tip for perfectly mashed potatoes every time.
Or, if you want to save time, go ahead and use instant mashed potatoes, and whip an egg into them to help them hold stiff, you would basically make your instant mashed potatoes, then start with step 12 of the recipe, and follow from there.
What book did we read? Glad you asked. We did not choose one that was specific to ghosts, instead we read: Halloween Night which was a very cute book about Halloween night written to resemble the classic Twas the Night Before Christmas poem. Darling. All of my children really loved it.
Halloween: Mashed Potato Ghosts
- 1 1/2 lbs russett potatoes peeled and quartered length-wise
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 Tbsp heavy cream
- 2 Tbsp butter
- 1 Tbsp reserved liquid from cooking potatoes
- Salt and White Pepper you want to keep them white for ghosts, no black flecks
- 1/4 c parmesan cheese
- 1 Large egg beaten
- Peppercorns or black sesame seeds
- Put potatoes into a saucepan.
- Add 1/2 teaspoon salt.
- Add water until potatoes are covered.
- Bring to boil, reduce heat and simmer, covered, 15-20 minutes, or until done.
- Melt butter and stir in cream.
- Drain water from potatoes, reserving some.
- Put hot potatoes into a bowl.
- Add cream and melted butter, and 1 Tbs reserved liquid.
- Use potato masher to mash potatoes until well mashed.
- Use a spoon to continue stirring/mashing, adding more liquid until you get desired consistency.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Now stir in parmesan cheese and 1 already beaten egg.
- Put potaotes in piping bag or ziploc with a corner cut off, and pipe your ghosts onto a lined baking sheet.
- Put black peppercorns in for eyes (black sesame seeds work too)
- Put in 375 degree oven for 15-20 minutes.
Our recipe card software calculates these nutrition facts based on averages for the above ingredients, different brands, and quality of produce/meats may have different nutritional information, always calculate your own based on the specific products you use in order to achieve accurate macros for this recipe.