Truthfully, I never make my own tortillas. I think they taste better, but I am all about easy, and while they certainly aren’t hard, tortillas are cheap, and it is just SO MUCH FASTER to unzip a bag, pull out a tortilla, and go from there. But taste is also important, and I have found that making tortillas myself really isn’t that hard. And again, I get to control what goes into them. Here is a great recipe for homemade tortillas.
- 2 cups white flour
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 tsp light olive oil
- 3/4 c warm water
- Mix dry ingredients
- Mix wet ingredients
- Slowly combine the wet and dry ingredients
- Knead together by hand or in mixer with Kneading Hook
- Divide the dough into 8-10 balls of dough (one per tortilla)
- Cover with a wet towel
- Let sit for 20 minutes
- Knead balls individually one more time.
- Cover with wet towel again.
- Let sit for 10 minutes
- Roll out each tortilla, make it as thin as you can
- Heat pan or griddle on medium heat
- Spray pan or pancake griddle with cooking spray
- Cook one side until bubbling
- Cook other side
Our recipe card software calculates these nutrition facts based on averages for the above ingredients, different brands, and quality of produce/meats may have different nutritional information, always calculate your own based on the specific products you use in order to achieve accurate macros for this recipe.