Gluten free and totally delicious spin on traditional pizza, this portobello pizza is a real crowd-pleaser!
My sister-in-law was recently diagnosed with Celiac, and so she has been adjusting to a gluten-free diet. We were talking the other day, and she said the hardest thing for her is giving up pizza. There is just something about pizza on a Friday night that is hard to give up. I personally love this BBQ Chicken Pizza on Friday nights.
I took this as a challenge to come up with a great gluten free pizza she could enjoy on Friday night movie nights. I suggested she try a cauliflower crust. I love cauliflower crusts, but they do take some work to make. And so I kept searching for something that would be almost as easy as calling for delivery! And I found it.
- 4 portabello mushrooms
- 1/2 cup fresh basil
- 1/2 cup fresh spinach
- 1/2 cup pizza or spaghetti sauce of choice
- 2 cups mozarella cheese
- 1 tbs organo parsley, and thyme mix (Italian mix)
- Salt and pepper
- 1 cup grape tomatoes
- Preheat oven to 350
- Take the stems out of the center of the portabello mushrooms and clean
- Put a tablespoon or so of pizza sauce into center of portabello and spread around
- Chop of basil and spinach, and mix together
- Spread greens over top of portabello
- Cut up half the grape tomatoes, and layer over basil and spinach
- Sprinkle with cheese and seasonings
- Add other tomatoes and a bit more cheese
- Bake on cookie sheet or in cast iron pan for 15-18 minutes
Our recipe card software calculates these nutrition facts based on averages for the above ingredients, different brands, and quality of produce/meats may have different nutritional information, always calculate your own based on the specific products you use in order to achieve accurate macros for this recipe.
I loved using the fresh basil I grew in my garden, but you could use ham and pineapple, pepperoni, anchovies, olives, or whatever you traditionally love on pizza!
And because I was searching for my sister-in-law, I had to go over and make her some. I prepared them in her kitchen in about 20 minutes time they were on the table. Her and her husband loved them as much as I did, and couldn’t say enough good about them. A win!
I love that they are pre-portioned as the mushrooms come in a set size!
While I will still continue to try and develop a great gluten-free traditional crust for my sister-in-law and those who need/want gluten free I think you will find this to be an amazing option, and a real palate pleaser, whether you need gluten free or not!