This salad was kind of a delightful accident. I invited my sister’s family over for dinner, and the day of remembered she was doing a diet, I think Paleo, which means no dairy, no grains, etc. and I had limited ingredients, and no time for a store run. I had to try and throw something together that would work for her diet out of what I had. Thank goodness too, as this was great! I did add in some edamame because I love it, and did not realize that soy products are out for Paleo, but she just picked them out, so we were good to go.
Seared Ahi Kale SaladPrint Pin Rate
- 2 ahi tuna steaks
- 2 tbs sesame seeds
- Salt and pepper
- 1 cup sliced strawberries
- 3 sweet mini peppers
- 1 large head of kale
- 3 green onions
- 1 cup edamame
- 21/2 tbs olive oil
- 1/4 cup lemon juice fresh is best
- 1 tsp minced garlic
- 1 tsp raw honey
- 1/8 tsp salt
- pinch of dillweed
- fresh ground pepper to taste
- Wash kale and stem it. Tear it into small pieces.
- Cut up onion and peppers
- Mix together dressing ingredients.
- Toss kale, edamame, onions and pepper together. Massage the dressing into the kale leaves.
- Refrigerate for at least 30 minutes.
- Before serving, take thawed ahi steaks, and season with salt and pepper. Press sesame seeds into sides.
- Sear ahi in an already hot pan. To do this, place a tsp of oil in pan and heat, and place ahi down in hot pan. Watch for ahi to brown, this means the sugars in the meat have caramelized. At this point flip the ahi and sear the other side.
- Let fish cool 5-10 minutes.
- Slice. Centers should be pink. If you want it cooked all the way through, you can stick it in the oven at 350 for a few minutes (time depends on thickness of steak).
- Slice your strawberries, and toss into kale salad.
- Serve sliced ahi over kale salad.
Our recipe card software calculates these nutrition facts based on averages for the above ingredients, different brands, and quality of produce/meats may have different nutritional information, always calculate your own based on the specific products you use in order to achieve accurate macros for this recipe.
Then use it to top the kale salad. Yum!