A truly impressive, kid friendly breakfast casserole that can be assembled the night before, and baked to serve hot with little effort in the morning. This S’mores Overnight French Toast Casserole tastes like dessert, but is served for breakfast!
My house is full of tiny little dictators that pretty much rule my life and my schedule. I remember calling my mom when I was first married and didn’t have any kids. I would ask her how she was, and what she had going on. And EVERY. SINGLE. TIME. she would go into this diatribe about what each of the kids still living at home had going. “Well…Hannah has this, and Joe has that…and Juli is performing in…” You get the idea. I remember vividly feeling irritated that SHE never said what she had.
Then I had kids.
And realized that IS what she had. She had to drive them, help them prepare, smooth over hurt feelings or bruised egos, etc. So now that is my life too. I am not free between 3-8 pm on any given night because my kids have this and my kids have that.
You might think that I would resent them, but instead, I find myself wanting to impress them, to make their life fun, and to make moments together memorable. And one of the ways I do this is through food. If food could be a love language it would be mine. Well food and drink!
My kids inherited a lot of things from me. My stubbornness, my competitiveness, and my love of beverages. I love drinks. From cocoas and ciders to Italian sodas, and smoothies. And while we love TruMoo as is, have you guys ever tried it hot? It is like a secret short cut to amazing hot cocoa. And with the seasonal return of the TruMoo Chocolate Marshmallow I can make an awesome version that is even yummier. Plus it has not high fructose corn syrup, and comes fresh from your local dairy.
Well I took this fun flavor of TruMoo and made it into a S’mores overnight french toast casserole. Mornings with 4 kids are always crazy, so anything I can do to cut down the chaos or prepare ahead of time, I try to do. And overnight french toast is one of those fun hacks. My kids get a hot breakfast, but I don’t have to do the work during the morning.
And this recipe is so simple I can even let my kids help make it. Kids LOVE cracking eggs. Like totally love it. I don’t get it. But hey, anything to make the tiny dictators happy, right? Hahaha. But when what makes them happy makes me happy too, that is a win-win.
This breakfast casserole is one of those win-wins. My kids feel like they are eating dessert. And I do too. It is yummy! I love cooking it for about 40 minutes to get the bread really nice and crunch on top, I just love the texture. But my kids like it a little softer, so I usually scoop theirs from the middle or bottom.
But no matter where you scoop from, or what your preference, this fun, camping inspired breakfast is going to disappear quick. I like making it in smaller batches (loaf pan) and serving it with fresh fruit.
Grab a container of the limited edition TruMoo Chocolate Marshmallow, some french bread, I used the kind that comes in the paper sleeves, and is often near the check out, wafting those fresh baked bread smells, some eggs, and the s’mores extra and enjoy!
I know I will!
Smores Overnight French Toast Casserole
- 3 cups french bread cut into cubes
- 6 eggs
- 1 cup TruMoo Chocolate Marshmallow
- 1/4 cup crushed Graham Crackers 1 1/2 sheets Graham Crackers, pulverized in a blender or food processor
- 1/2 cup milk chocolate chip
- 1/4 cup Marshmallow fluff
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- 2-3 Tbs milk (depending on desired consistency
- 1 tsp vanilla
- Spray an 8 x 4 x 2 1/2 inch loaf pan with non-stick cooking spray
- Cut frenchbread into cubes and place into loaf pan
- In a bowl mix eggs and TruMoo together, and pour over the top of the bread.
- Sprinkle chocolate chips and crushed graham crackers over the top, and stir well to coat in egg mixture.
- Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate overnight.
- The next morning, preheat oven to 350 degrees and bake for 30-40 minutes depending on how crunchy you want it.
- Meanwhile in a small bowl, and using a hand mixer, mix together drizzle ingredients until smooth.
- Remove casserole from oven, Let sit 5 minutes, drizzle marshmallow mixture over the top and serve hot!
Our recipe card software calculates these nutrition facts based on averages for the above ingredients, different brands, and quality of produce/meats may have different nutritional information, always calculate your own based on the specific products you use in order to achieve accurate macros for this recipe.
I was selected for this opportunity as a member of Clever Girls and the content and opinions expressed here are all my own.