The easiest ever chicken enchiladas with a creamy, zesty, green chili white sauce that is delicious! These are awesome for dinner any day of the week.
Midweek meals are something I like to talk about a lot. I love a good dinner that we can gather around the table for, talk, eat, enjoy, but what I don’t like is the time consuming meals that mean by the time dinner is on the table all I want to do is hide in my room and binge watch bad television.
These enchiladas are really flavorful, and super easy to make because I use pre-cooked chicken. Pre-cook your own for busy nights, or use short cuts like frozen grilled chicken strips which you can find in the freezer section of almost any store.
Then just make the sauce and assemble. The sauce is easy too. And the flavor is phenomenal. You really should try it!
Enchiladas are something I do not make nearly enough. I like them, in fact, they are one of my favorite things to eat because I love Mexican food, I love avocado, salsa, and the like, and they are so easy to customize and top that they are perfect for my family. But I always forget about them. No longer. Now that I have made these, there is no going back.
They are quick, they are easy, they are tasty, and my whole family enjoyed them. And you could make them ahead of time and pop them in the freezer before baking, then just bake they day you want to eat them. I love having a pan of enchiladas ready to go because it means busy nights are simplified, and if I need dinner for a friend or family member, but I am short on time, I have something most everyone loves.
When I was a kid I thought enchiladas only came one way…red! Now I know you can have honey and lime, chicken, beef, shrimp, white, red, green, and whatever else you can think of, the sky is the limit with these spiced, cheesy, creamy, tortilla delights.
Don’t you just want to dig right in?
Zesty White Chicken Enchiladas
- 8 small flour tortillas taco size
- 2 cups shredded Pepper jack jack cheese divided
- 2 1/2 cups cooked chicken strips or shredded chicken
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 1/3 cup Italian dressing divided
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1- 4 oz can diced green chiles
- Cilantro for garnish
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- Spray a 9 x 13 baking dish with non-stick cooking spray and set aside.
- In a large bowl, mix together the chicken together, 1 Tbs Italian dressing, and 1 cup cheese
- Evenly distribute the chicken mixture amongst the tortillas, and roll up. Place seam side down in prepared pan.
- Melt the butter in a large saucepan oven medium-high heat.
- Add flour; cook and stir until incorporated
- Add the chicken stock and whisk until it is smooth
- Bring to a soft boil, it should be thick.
- Stir in the sour cream, remaining Italian dressing, and diced green chiles.
- Pour the sauce over the enchiladas.
- Top with remaining cheese.
- Bake for 20 to 25 minutes or until golden and bubbly.
- Sprinkle with fresh chopped cilantro and serve
Our recipe card software calculates these nutrition facts based on averages for the above ingredients, different brands, and quality of produce/meats may have different nutritional information, always calculate your own based on the specific products you use in order to achieve accurate macros for this recipe.
*UPDATE: A reader shared that glass baking dishes are dangerous over a certain temperature. Here are some great metal options.
Pin for later:
Dani B says