Braised Short Ribs:
These traditional short ribs are easy to make in the oven. They are braised and baked to tender perfection with a rich and delicious sauce. These tender chunks of beef, and flavorful tomato sauce are perfect with polenta or mashed potatoes.
Braised Short Ribs: These traditional short ribs are easy to make in the oven. They are simple enough that it doesn’t take much to turn this short rib recipe into a complete meal. Perfect for a sunday night family dinner.
This braised short ribs recipe is traditional and delicious. It’s easy to make this beef short ribs oven dish and it tastes so good. Just add potatoes or polenta and a salad and you have a complete meal that everyone will enjoy. This dish is perfect for a family meal.
How do you make braised short ribs?
Braised short ribs are made in the oven. They are made with onions, carrots, and celery for added flavor.
They are braised so that they come out flavorful and tender. Braising is usually a two-step process: browning of the short ribs, followed by long, slow simmering of the dish in a covered pot with relatively small amount of liquid. For this dish I chose to braise in the oven, but braising can also be accomplished on the stove top.
It is a popular method for cooking cuts of meat that would be tough otherwise.
This is a short ribs dish made with traditional braising methods. A classic short ribs recipe that is full of flavor, but is surprisingly easy to make. Just watch the video above. Once you try it, you’ll added it to your regular dinner choices.
Are short ribs and back ribs the same?
No. They are a different cut. The main difference to the lay person is the back ribs will have less meat on them. They are composed of roughly the same connective tissues, however, so you can braise or roast them with the same desired effect.
Beef back ribs are taken from the cow’s rib section and are the long ribs most often associated with barbecued beef ribs. Short ribs, however, are beef ribs taken from the plate cut.
While short ribs and back ribs are different, they can be prepared in many of the same ways. However, while back ribs can be braised, roasted or grilled, short ribs are best braised. They can be very tough otherwise. Of course after you braise them you could grill them or do something more with them. For this recipe I do not.
This can be prepared as a boneless short ribs recipe instead to make for a meal that is easier to eat.
How do you cook beef short ribs?
I prefer to cook short ribs by braising them in oven in a dutch oven, this one from Amazon is great quality. Braising will bring out a great flavor, expecially where you have more bone, and will leave your meat tender and easy to eat. With this particular cut of meat, the low and slow method is necessary for a tender result.
The short ribs will absorb the full flavors of the sauces and vegetables that they’re cooked in. There are lots of thoughts on how to cook short ribs, but this braised short rib recipe is so easy and it still makes a dish that is melt in your mouth delicious and the whole family will love.
What do you serve with braised short ribs?
- Mashed Potatoes https://www.eazypeazymealz.com/super-easy-mashed-potatoes/
- Easy Salad https://www.eazypeazymealz.com/sesame-ginger-chicken-salad/
- Kale Salad https://www.eazypeazymealz.com/kale-chopped-salad/
- Honey Braised Carrot https://www.eazypeazymealz.com/honey-braised-carrots/
- No Knead Dinner Rolls https://www.eazypeazymealz.com/no-knead-dinner-rolls/
Braised Short Ribs
- 2 1/2 pounds beef short ribs trimmed
- salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 onion sliced
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 2 large carrots peeled and diced
- 2 cups white mushrooms
- 2 cups beef broth
- 1 cup tomato sauce
- 2 sprigs fresh rosemary
- 1 tsp fresh thyme
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1/2 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 bay leaf
- Trim short ribs, but leave some of the fat. Fat is flavor.
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F (165 degrees C).
- Season short ribs with salt and black pepper.
- Heat olive oil in a dutch oven over medium-high heat. Brown short ribs in hot oil until browned on all sides, 7 to 12 minutes. Remove ribs from dutch oven
- Add onion with a pinch of salt to the hot dutch oven and saute until softened, about 3 minutes.
- Add garlic and saute until fragrant, about 1 minute more.
- Stir mushrooms and carrotis into onion mixture.
- Pour half a cup of beef stock into the dutch oven and bring to a boil while scraping the browned bits of food off of the bottom of the pan with a wooden spoon. Stir remaining beef broth, tomato sauce, rosemary, thyme, 1/2 teaspoon salt, cayenne pepper, smoked paprika, and bay leaf into the pot.
- Add short ribs into Dutch oven and stir make sure they are covered. Put the lid on the Dutch oven.
- Put Dutch oven in the preheated oven and cook short ribs until short ribs are fork-tender, about 2 hours.
- Serve over polenta.
Our recipe card software calculates these nutrition facts based on averages for the above ingredients, different brands, and quality of produce/meats may have different nutritional information, always calculate your own based on the specific products you use in order to achieve accurate macros for this recipe.
Pin to your Beef board: