Carrot cake base, cream cheese filling, and a crumb topping. So yummy you won’t want to share!
Carrot Coffee Cake
©Eazy Peazy Mealz by EazyPeazyMealz.com
Pin it to your breakfast board to SAVE it for later!
Follow Eazy Peazy Mealz on Pinterest for more great tips, ideas and recipes!
I LOVE coffee cake, and carrot cake. So put them together and you have an amazing treat! Plus it can be eaten with breakfast! For this recipe, I started with my favorite coffee cake recipe (Dream Coffee Cake), and I adjusted it to bring in my current favorite flavor.
This fresh spring flavored cake is made in a springform pan, how fitting! I coat the pan with shortening to keep everything from sticking. Non-stick spray works too. You could line a 9″ round baking pan with parchment if you do not have a springform pan.
I used to avoid making anything carrot cake because it was such a pain to grate the carrots. But now, I “grate” the carrots in a food processor. You get tiny pieces in about 30 seconds.
Once you have mixed the batter, it is rather sick, so just scoop it into your pan, and press it flat, and up the sides. Make a well for the cream cheese mixture. Then simply pour the cream cheese mixture into the center. Then top with the preserve. The pineapple preserve adds a fun flavor twist that you will love. But if you can’t find the pineapple, feel free to skip it!
Make a fine crumb mixture, using a pastry cutter or two fork to cut the butter in! Then sprinkle evenly on top!
Then simply bake the cake!
It will be hard to wait. Because the carrots vary in moisture, be sure to check and see if the cake is done baking by inserting a knife or toothpick in the center. If it is not done, cook a bit longer. You want to make sure it is done. I pulled mine out a little early so I could pick my kids up from school. It was still delicious but the bottom was slightly under-cooked.
Allow the cake to cool completely before serving. It is best if it is prepared ahead of time and refrigerated overnight. That gives the cream cheese filling a chance to chill, and it will taste amazing.
It will be fit for a queen! And trust me, it will be hard to eat just one slice.
I hope you enjoy it as much as we do!
Carrot Coffee Cake
- 1 tsp Shortening to grease pan
- 2 1/4 cups all purpose flour
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 tsp nutmeg
- 1 Tbs cinnamon
- 3/4 cup unsalted butter
- 1 large egg beaten
- 3/4 cup sour cream
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1 cup grated or finely chopped, carrot pieces
Cream Cheese Filling
- 1 egg beaten
- 1/4 -1/2 cup sugar depending on how sweet you want it, 1/4 works great for me
- 8 ounces cream cheese
- 1/4 cup pineapple preserves optional
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- Grease a 9 inch springform or round cake pan lined with parchment paper
- In a large bowl combine flour and sugar, cinnamon, and nutmeg
- Cut in butter and using 2 forks or a pastry cutter, form crumb mixture. (Cut until mixture resembles fine crumbs)
- Reserve 1 cup of crumb topping, and set aside
- To the rest of the mixture add in eg, sour cream, salt, baking powder, baking soda, and carrots. Mix well.
- Spread over the bottom of prepared pan, and up the sides. The batter is thick, just press it where you want it, and form a bit of a well to hold cream cheese filling.
- In a separate bowl combine cream cheese , sugar, and beaten egg.
- Pour into the well you formed.
- If using them, spoon preserves over the cream cheese as evenly as possible.
- Spread reserved crumb mixture over the top of the cake, distributing evenly.
- Bake for 45 minutes to 55 mins (may need an hour if carrots are super wet), test doneness with toothpick inserted in center.
- Cool for at least 30 minutes, preferably overnight in the fridge.
Our recipe card software calculates these nutrition facts based on averages for the above ingredients, different brands, and quality of produce/meats may have different nutritional information, always calculate your own based on the specific products you use in order to achieve accurate macros for this recipe.
And if you love all things carrot cake, don’t forget to check out this fun carrot cake bar with coconut cream cheese frosting recipe:
Don’t forget to pin for later: