**As a participant in this campaign with Walmart, I have received compensation for my time and efforts in creating this post. All thoughts and opinions are my own. #WeSparkChange #ad #Shop2Give
A hearty breakfast casserole made with food items that can help fight hunger!
Have you ever been hungry? Truly hungry? Not just “I skipped lunch and my tummy is growling” hungry?
I haven’t. I have been very blessed. A few years ago my husband and I were on a trip in South Africa and I saw some pretty eye opening poverty. I knew people did not always get enough to eat, and that there were homeless in the world and all of that. But I guess I have lived a sheltered life because I kind of just assumed that was in other places. Not here. Not in America. I just figured when people were hungry, they would find a way to get food. Food banks, neighbors, family, church groups, something.
I was wrong. There are plenty of people right here in America that do not have enough food. Sure they can go to a food bank, or church, or something, but someone has to donate the food to the food bank, and people have to have neighbors, family, and friends willing to help out. Today I want to share with you a way you can help! A way you can join the movement to fight hunger, and help feed those in need doing something you are probably already doing—shopping for food and posting on social media!
How You Can Help
Head to Walmart and Buy Food.
Walmart has partnered with some of your favorite food brands to help feed America. Between April 6th and May 3rd you can go to Walmart and buy specific foods, and for each participating item purchased money will be donated to help secure 1 meal* on behalf of local Feeding America Food Banks.
Find the list of participating products here. There are tons of options from Goldfish crackers to Ro*tel.
Share the movement on Social Media.
- Round up your 6 friends, family or co-workers and share your smiles with Walmart.
- Upload your photo to Facebook, Instagram, or Twitter
- Use the hashtag #WeSparkChange
- Make your photo “Public”
- Walmart will donate to Feeding America for every post shared.
Donate at the Register.
From April 6 to May 3, you can give monetary donations of $1, $2, or $5 to your local Feeding America Food Bank at the register of any participating Walmart.
Head over to Walmart.com/FightHunger to watch the real time giving tracker!
To make it even easier for you to help fight hunger I thought I would share a recipe you can make for your family that includes several of the participating products from the supplier partners: Unilever, General Mills, ConAgra, Campbell’s, Kellogg’s, and Kraft. It has Crescent Roll dough, Ro*Tel and Kraft Cheese.
This Cheesy Mexican Breakfast Casserole will not only help feed your family, but someone else’s! That is something I can feel good about!
Cheesy Mexican Breakfast Casserole + Fight Hunger
- 1 can crescent rolls
- 1/2 cup black beans
- 1 can Ro*tel liquid drained off
- 1 1/2 cups potato chunks I used the prepared, partially cooked kind you buy in the refrigeration section of the store
- 1 cup corn kernels I roasted mine first for extra flavor
- 32 ounces of Southwest flavored egg beaters
- 1 cup shredded Kraft cheese
- 1 cup mozzarella cheese
- Fresh tomatoes
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees
- Spray a 9 x 13 casserole pan, and put the crescent roll dough flat on the bottom, covering the bottom of the pan
- Layer in the beans, drained and rinsed
- Layer in the Ro*Tel, drained
- Layer in the corn
- Layer in the Potatoes
- Layer in the shredded Mexican blender cheese
- Pour eggs over the top
- Sprinkle on mozzarella cheese
- Bake for 35-45 minutes until center does not jiggle much when you shake the pan.
- Top with fresh cut tomatoes and cilantro
Our recipe card software calculates these nutrition facts based on averages for the above ingredients, different brands, and quality of produce/meats may have different nutritional information, always calculate your own based on the specific products you use in order to achieve accurate macros for this recipe.
DISCLAIMER: Walmart is not responsible for donating the meals, the supplier partners listed above are responsible for that.
FOOTNOTE: *The monetary equivalent of meals will be donated. $0.10 is equivalent to one meal secured by Feeding AmericaⓇ on behalf of local member food banks. See Walmart.com/FightHunger for details.
*Feeding America National Office Approved Meal Cost Calculation
$1 helps provide 10 meals
Secured by Feeding AmericaⓇ on behalf of local member food banks