Chicken Quinoa Vegetable Soup
It is snowing here, and while I hate snow, and wish I was on a beach, I do love soup. Soup is a cold weather food.
This soup is yummy, packed full of anti-oxidant rich vegetables to protect you from winter colds, and pretty healthy. Plus it has protein rich quinoa. If you want it to be vegetarian, just leave out the chicken. Also, I estimated the spices, so taste the soup as you prepare it, and add more spices to your personal preference.
It goes really well with the breadsticks! Or garlic bread twists.
I made a whole bunch of this soup because I love quinoa, and I love soup, and I wanted something full of yummy veggies. My kids ate it well, but we had the neighbors for dinner and their kids wouldn’t even try it! Haha, so this might be an adult only soup.
Chicken Quinoa Veggie Soup
- 1.5 cups uncooked quinoa cook it before putting in soup
- 3 cups water
- 3 chicken bouillon cubes
- 1 large onion chopped fine
- 4 large carrots
- 1 yam
- 1 large parsnip
- 2 Tbs minced garlic
- Shredded rotisserie chicken or canned
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 1 tbs garlic powder
- 1 tbs onion powder
- 8-10 cups Chicken Stock
- 1.5 tsp Oregano
- 1.5 tsp Parsley
- 1 can dark red kidney beans
- 1 cup broccoli florets cut small
- Salt to taste
- Saute garlic and onions in a pan until browned
- Put water and spices in a pot and bring to a boil, then turn down to medium heat
- Peel and chop carrots, parsnip, and sweet potato and add to water pot
- Cook quinoa by rinsing well, then putting in 3 cups of boiling water and bouillon, turn down, and let simmer 15 minutes.
- Add chicken, quinoa, onions, and garlic to pot
- Cook for 30-45 minutes until vegetables are tender, but not mushy
- Turn to low or simmering heat.
- About 15 minutes before you are ready to serve, drain and rinse a can of kidney beans, add to pot, and add broccoli.
- Cook 15 more minutes on low to medium heat
- Serve warm
Our recipe card software calculates these nutrition facts based on averages for the above ingredients, different brands, and quality of produce/meats may have different nutritional information, always calculate your own based on the specific products you use in order to achieve accurate macros for this recipe.