Cream Cheese Pastry Dough
This is an AMAZING recipe. I mean how could it not be with cream cheese and cream, right?
But what is amazing about this recipe besides the ease is that it works well for just about anything from sweet to savory. I
have put apple pie filling it in, chicken pot pie filling in it, lasagna filling, a southwest type filling of black beans, corn, ground beef, and tomato.
Last year I tried making pumpkin pies for the first time, and had an excess of filling, so I whipped up some of this pastry dough and made hand pies for my kids. I also filled some with fresh diced peaches and a little cinnamon and sugar. Holy cow! Yum!
Anyway, this is the dough, and you fill it with whatever, then do an egg wash on it, and bake it at 350 for 25 mins. It freezes really well, and it makes a lot, so I usually double or triple the batch, and then spend an afternoon rolling it out, cutting it, filling it, shaping it, and freezing a million “pockets” which can later be removed one at a time, or as many as are needed to feed a crowd. Easy Peasy!
Cream Cheese Pastry
- 8 tablespoons 1 stick unsalted butter, softened
- 4 ounces cream cheese softened
- 1/4 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1 1/2 cups plus 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour plus more for rolling out dough
- 1/2 teaspoon coarse salt
- Mix all but flour and salt
- Add in flour and salt until combined and holds together in ball.
- Turn into well floured surface, and divide into three balls.
- Refrigerate 30 minutes.
- Take out one ball at a time, and roll dough out, center to edges, turning frequently until 12 inches wide.
- Use a biscuit cutter, or round cookie cutter, or lid to a jar, etc. to cut out your dough
- Fill, seal, and freeze or bake.
- When baking, brush with egg whites, then bake at 350 for 25 mins
Our recipe card software calculates these nutrition facts based on averages for the above ingredients, different brands, and quality of produce/meats may have different nutritional information, always calculate your own based on the specific products you use in order to achieve accurate macros for this recipe.