Freezer Friendly Teriyaki Chicken Rice Bowls
Make ahead lunches or a delicious dinner, these chicken and rice bowls use a homemade teriyaki sauce, tender chicken, and a frozen veggie mix for a quick, easy, and delicious meal the whole family will love.
Serve with Freezer Peanut Butter Cookies for a fun make ahead meal!
This quick chicken teriyaki bowl is a perfect meal for when you want something simple and delicious. A perfect balance of sweet and savory complimented with rice and veggies to round out the meal. Easy enough that anyone can make it and tasty enough that everyone will enjoy it. Make ahead and freeze for quick lunches on busy days.
Easy Steps for Freezer Teriyaki Chicken Rice Bowls:
- Mix your teriyaki sauce together. If you want to make this even easier, and cut out a step, then feel free to use a bottled teriyaki. I personally prefer the homemade, but when I am in a hurry, bottled works too!
- Get your freezer safe bowls ready. Choose the size based on the portion size you want. Since these are mostly going to be used as my lunches when my kids are back in school I went with a small-ish bowl. I love these ones from Amazon, they are freezer friendly, and perfect for the husband’s lunch.
- Add your rice and top with a little bit of the reserved sauce.
- Add in your vegetables of choice. I went with a “Steamables” since I intend to heat these in the microwave when I am ready to eat them. Choose whatever types of vegetables you will eat. I love the ones with all the veggies, but if you hate summer squash and asparagus, select a different variety.
- As you can see, I put the veggies in still frozen. I was just going to freeze them again in a few minutes, so why bother cooking them first? This helps preserve a little flavor too.
- Add the chicken you cooked in the teriyaki sauce.
- Put additional sauce over the whole thing, cover with lids, label, and freeze.
The easiest meal you’ve ever made. Perfect for a quick lunch or a family dinner. An even balance of flavors that leaves you wishing there was more. Topping rice with tender, juicy chicken and pairing it with delicious veggies for a satisfying and complete meal.
Perfect meal for a busy schedule
Juggling work and a family can be pretty tough sometimes, and one of the hardest parts is finding time to make a good meal that everyone will enjoy. This is a constant struggle no matter what I do to try to prepare ahead of time. But one of the solutions I found to this struggle is a simple Teriyaki Rice Bowl. It’s a quick and easy meal, but it’s delicious regardless. I never hear any complaints when I make this for dinner and everyone seems to be asking for more.
Freezing Tips for Chicken Teriyaki Rice Bowls
- Let them cool before freezing so the steam does not turn to condensation, and then freeze, and become ice crystals that ruin the food.
- Add some liquid to reheat. Rice freezes really well. However, in order to get fluffy and delicious rice from frozen, you need liquid. This should be a little water as well as some teriyaki sauce. Sometimes I will double the recipe and use it. But only do this if you love teriyaki.
- Label the bowls so you know how long they have been in the freezer for. Maximum of 3 months is best.
- Use the proper freezer bowls. I love this set of 3 from Amazon. They are glass, and have air tight lids. I love them. You will too.
- If you aren’t planning to use part for dinner and part for freezing, I suggest leaving the vegetables frozen. Use freezer veggies, this will mean fewer chances of freezer burn.
Teriyaki Chicken Rice Bowl
- 3 cloves fresh garlic minced
- 1 1/2 Tablespoons fresh ginger finely grated
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup soy sauce
- 1/2 Tablespoon dry mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon white pepper
- 6 ounces pineapple juice
- 1/3 cup fresh squeezed orange juice
- 1/2 Tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 Tablespoon water
- 2 lbs Chicken breasts diced
- Salt and pepper
- 3 cups frozen stir fry vegetables
- 4 cups cooked Rice
- 4 freezer safe bowl with lids
- Mix all sauce ingredients together, and set aside.
- Dice chicken, and season with salt and pepper. And put in a large skillet.
- Pour half the teriyaki sauce into the large skillet over the diced chicken breast.
- Cook over medium high heat, until cooked through.
- Set chicken aside to let cool.
- Assemble rice bowl with 1 cup cooked rice at bottom of each freezer safe bowl
- Add 3/4 cup frozen stir fry mix vegetables to each container
- Divide cooled chicken between the 4 bowls
- Divide reserved teriyaki sauce between the bowls, pouring it over the top. .
- Put lids on, and freeze.
- When ready to eat from frozen, simply heat in microwave for 5 minutes, or until heated through.
Store-bought teriyaki sauce may be substituted.
To assemble a kid-sized bowl, use 1/2 cup cooked rice, ¼-1/2 cup frozen mixed veggies, 1/4 cup cooked chicken, and 1 tablespoon teriyaki sauce per bowl.
Reduce reheat/cook time to 3 minutes; let stand in microwave 1 minute before serving.
This recipe was made and tested in glass bowls, if using plastic, or something else, the reheat time may vary. Base reheat time on your microwave and container type.
Our recipe card software calculates these nutrition facts based on averages for the above ingredients, different brands, and quality of produce/meats may have different nutritional information, always calculate your own based on the specific products you use in order to achieve accurate macros for this recipe.
Pin to your Meal Planning board:
Roll the ball says
the impossible quiz says
usps tracking says
Marie Canales says
CHelsea Davis says