Teriyaki Shrimp Stir Fry
Succulent shrimp and crispy tender vegetables coated in a homemade thick and saucy teriyaki glaze and studded with sweet exotic bits of Dole® Fridge Pack Pineapple Chunks in 100% Pineapple Juice!
This simple stir-fry comes together in under 15 minutes, and gives you the perfect weeknight dinner. It is simple, packed with flavor, low mess, and sure to become a family favorite.
Saucy, a little sweet, a little savory, and very easy to make there are a million reasons this needs to be on your dinner rotation.
What You Will Learn:
- How to make this 15 minute simple shrimp teriyaki stir-fry recipe
- How to clean, peel, and stir-fry shrimp the right way, so you end up with shrimp that is caramelized on the outside, and perfectly cooked on the inside.
- How to make a teriyaki sauce that is so amazing you will want to keep on hand for more quick meals.
- How to get the sweet and the savory with exotic fruit– Dole Fridge Pack Pineapple Chunks!
Stir Fry: Perfect For Weeknight Meals
This simple shrimp teriyaki stir-fry recipe only takes about 10-15 minutes to get on the table, and is even faster if you keep some homemade teriyaki sauce made up and on hand in the fridge.
There are a lot of things to love about it, like how the sweet chunks of Dole Fridge Pack Pineapple add sweetness, while the sauce is a nice balance of sweet and savory. Or how the teriyaki sauce delicately coats each ingredient, like it is wrapping it in a tasty hug.
Here are some of the reasons we love this recipe:
- Quick– Again, it takes about 15 minutes to go from the fridge to the table with this meal.
- Easy to make– You need a wok (or large skillet), some heat, and a knife to chop vegetables. It is an easy recipe that doesn’t take great cooking skills or special tools.
- Wholesome- For this recipe I suggest fresh vegetables, wild caught shrimp, and Dole Fridge Pack Pineapple Chunks, which is all-natural fruit, packed in 100% pineapple juice. The flavors are exotic and incredible, and the ingredients delicious and nutritious.
- Versatile- While I love this recipe as is, you can play with it, it is a great way to use up whatever you have lying around in the refrigerator, add in extra vegetables, like broccoli, for even more wholesome flavor!
- Easy clean up– This is essentially a one-pan meal, which makes for a fantastic weeknight dinner with minimal clean up.
How Do You Make Shrimp Stir Fry?
- Buy, peel and devein shrimp
- Make teriyaki sauce
- Prep all ingredients
- Cook shrimp
- Stir-fry Veggies
- Assemble and enjoy!
Step 1: Buy the Right Shrimp, then Peel and Devein
I recommend buying the biggest shrimp you can find. I opted for jumbo shrimp, that were about 16-20 count per pound.
While you can buy pre-peeled shrimp, if you don’t, you will want to take time to peel and devein your shrimp.
- Pull on the legs of the shrimp to remove the shell, and leave the tail intact.
- Cut a thin slit down the middle of the top of the shrimp – where you see the vein.
- Run the sliced shrimp under cool water and remove the vein with the knife or your fingers.
- Pat dry with a paper towel, and then set the shrimp aside.
Step 2: Make the Teriyaki Sauce
Mix the ingredients together and heat until you reach your desired thickness. I like to keep a bottle in the fridge that is not as thick as I want, that way as I cook with the sauce, it thickens the rest of the way.
Step 3: Prep Everything Ahead
This recipe cooks up in a matter of minutes, so it is best to already have everything sliced and ready to go before you start cooking, that way you don’t end up overcooking anything.
- Slice onions
- Slice Peppers
- Remove plastic from top of Dole Fridge Pack Pineapple Chunks in 100% Pineapple Juice
Step 4: Cook the Shrimp
I always start by cooking the shrimp about 75% done. This way I can control how done they get, and can remove them from the pan while cooking the rest of the recipe.
- Heat the wok and the oil in the wok.
- Add the shrimp to the pan, do not overlap them.
- Let them cook for 30 seconds.
- Flip, and cook an additional 30 seconds.
- They should be starting to turn pin, and caramelized on the exterior, but not cooked through yet.
- Remove them from the pan and set aside.
- They will finish cooking when you add them back into the pan later.
Step 5: Stir Fry the Veggies
- Add a little more oil to the same wok or skillet you cooked the shrimp in.
- Add the bell peppers and the onions, and stir-fry for 1-2 minutes until they are starting to brown, and are crisp and tender.
Step 6: Put it All Together
Now to add the finishing touches, let the shrimp finish cooking, and really amp up the exotic, delicious flavor with Dole Fridge Pack Pineapple Chunks. Which add the perfect amount of sweetness to this savory, delicious stir-fry.
- Start by adding the Dole Fridge Pack Pineapple Chunks in 100% Pineapple Juice! (Product locator: https://dolesunshine.com/products/fridge-packs)
- Next add the snow peas. Then add the shrimp back in, and the teriyaki sauce.
- Toss to combine. Everything should be beautifully coating in the teriyaki sauce.
- Cook for an additional minute or two, until the sauce is bubbling.
- Garnish with sesame seeds and then serve!
How to Elevate Your Teriyaki Shrimp Stirfry
Use Dole Fridge Pack Pineapple Chunks in 100% Pineapple Juice!
This is one of those times when the brand really does matter! Dole sources non-GMO fruits grown in vibrant sunshine.
Dole Fridge Pack Pineapple Chunks in 100% Pineapple Juice are an easy way to add exotic and delicious flavors to any recipe. And it is the best because it is all-natural fruit, packed in 100% pineapple juice.
You can find several Dole Fridge Pack Varieties
- Dole Fridge Pack Peach Slices in Fruit Juice
- Dole Fridge Pack Pineapple Chunks in 100% Pineapple Juice
- Dole Fridge Pack Mandarin Oranges in Fruit Juice
- Dole Fridge Pack Mixed Fruit in Fruit Juice
Product Locator: https://dolesunshine.com/products/fridge-packs
Each fruit in a Dole package can trace its roots back to the brilliant rays of sunshine that took it from seed to amazing product. The perfect way to bring more sunshine into your life! You can find it in the canned aisle!
- Adds exotic flavors to this teriyaki shrimp stir-fry.
- All-natural fruit
- Packed in fruit juice
Find the Dole Fridge Packs and learn more about them here: https://dolesunshine.com/products/fridge-packs
Make Homemade Teriyaki Sauce
Homemade teriyaki is the best! Hands down. Not only does it allow you to control the consistency of the sauce, but also the sweetness. And you don’t have all the extra additives. So while it adds a few extra minutes of time, making the sauce yourself is worth it.
Keep in mind:
- You can make the sauce ahead and store in an airtight container in the refrigerator.
- The sauce will stay good for up to 3 weeks in the fridge.
- You can cook longer to reduce the sauce and make it thicker and stickier!
Use Fresh Vegetables of Your Choice
I like to keep it simple and use onions and bell peppers, and sugar snap peas. But the world is your oyster with this stir-fry, so feel free to add any number of other veggies!
Onion, mushrooms, broccoli, carrots, asparagus, and zucchini all make great additions!
The Best Way to Stir Fry Shrimp
Now that we have covered the sweet and savory sauce, and the best way to get those pops of exotic flavors with Dole Fridge Pack Pineapple Chunks in 100% Pineapple Juice, let’s talk about how to properly cook the shrimp for the best results!
The secret to stir-frying shrimp is to start with dry shrimp, and cook it separate and first so you can control how long it cooks! If you cook shrimp too long, it gets rubbery.
- Pat the shrimp very dry with paper towels. If the shrimp is wet at all, it will steam instead of caramelize. That is not what you want.
- Use a nice hot work. Searing the shrimp on both sides in a hot wok, will leaving the inside of the shrimp only partially cooked through, and this means when you stir-fry everything together at the end, it will finish cooking, and not overcook!
- Remove from wok, and set aside to finish cooking later!
Tips for Shrimp Stir Fry
- Use the largest shrimp you can find. This allows you to cook the sauce down, caramelize the shrimp, etc., without worrying about overcooking it.
- The teriyaki sauce can be made up to 3 weeks before you plan to use it.
- You can use any vegetables you like: mushrooms, zucchini, carrots and broccoli.
- Customize to your preference. Want it spicy? Try adding some sriracha sauce or crushed red pepper flakes to your stir-fry. Want it sweeter? Add more of the Dole Fridge Pack Pineapple Chunks in 100% Pineapple Juice. Want to add more veggies? Serve your stir-fry over cauliflower rice.
- Feel free to make substitutions, like store bought teriyaki sauce instead of homemade. Don’t like shrimp? Try chicken or beef or pork!
- Serve your teriyaki shrimp stir-fry over white rice.
- For a veggie-packed option, serve over cauliflower rice.
Teriyaki Shrimp Stir-Fry
- 1 ½ pounds large shrimp peeled and deveined
- 1 cup snow peas
- 1 cup red bell peppers sliced thin
- 1 cup yellow bell peppers sliced thin
- ½ cup onion sliced
- 1 cup Dole Fridge Pack Pineapple Chunks in 100% Pineapple Juice
- 2 Tablespoons canola oil
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon cold water
- 1/4 cup white sugar
- ¼ cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup soy sauce
- 1/4 cup cider vinegar
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- Toasted Sesame Seeds
- Serve with Rice
- Mix cornstarch and cold water together, and set aside.
- Put all the other teriyaki sauce ingredients in a heavy bottom sauce pan, and bring to a simmer over medium heat. Add cornstarch and water to the sauce pan once everything else is combined.
- Cook 5-10 minutes, letting the sauce reduce and thicken, stirring occasionally. Once desired thickness is reached, remove from heat, and set aside.
- Clean and devein shrimp, pat them dry. Slice vegetables, so everything is ready to go, as this process goes quickly.
- Heat a wok or large skillet over high heat.
- Once hot, add 1 tablespoon of canola oil.
- Add the shrimp to the pan, do not overlap them. Let them cook for 30 seconds. Flip, and cook an additional 30 seconds.
- Remove the shrimp from the pan, and set aside, they are not cooked through yet.
- To the same pan, add the remaining canola oil, onions, and bell peppers, and stir fry for 1-2 minutes until crisp tender.
- Add the Dole Fridge Pack Pineapple Chunks in 100% Pineapple Juice, shrimp, snow peas, and teriyaki sauce to the pan, and stir it all together to coat everything in the teriyaki sauce.
- Stir fry for about 3-4 minutes until everything is heated through and shrimp are fully cooked.
- Garnish with toasted sesame seeds and serve over rice.
Our recipe card software calculates these nutrition facts based on averages for the above ingredients, different brands, and quality of produce/meats may have different nutritional information, always calculate your own based on the specific products you use in order to achieve accurate macros for this recipe.
Teriyaki Shrimp Stirfry is the perfect thing to pin to your Pinterest board: