A gluten free holiday dessert sure to please! This pumpkin cake roll is gluten free, but is fluffy, and spongy, and spot on with flavor!
Eating gluten free is not something I have to do. And so I rarely read labels, and worry about allergies. None of my kids have food allergies or intolerance, and neither my husband nor I do. However, my sister-in-law is Celiac, and our intern, who lives with us, has allergies to almonds, hazelnuts, and apples. So I have had to be more careful in my cooking.
I have found cooking regular meals is not too challenging for these modifications, but desserts get tricky, especially for gluten. But I am here to say that you can have an awesome pumpkin cake roll even with a gluten allergy because I have tried and tested it twice, and it works. Mostly because I used Bob’s Red Mill 1 to 1 baking flour in place of regular flour.
I did notice that my cake roll was not as easy to unroll, in fact it split the first time, so it is not as pliable, but when it comes to eating it, it is just as spongy and soft as I want. And the flavor is excellent. I highly recommend using this flour for the gluten free goodies you want to make!
Gluten Free Pumpkin Cake Roll
- Powdered sugar to sprinkle on towel
- 1 1/2 cups Bob's Red Mill Gluten Free 1 to 1 baking flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp pumpkin pie spice
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 6 large eggs
- 2 cup granulated sugar
- 1 1/2 cup LIBBY'S® 100% Pure Pumpkin
- 5 ounces whipped cream
- 4 ounces cream cheese
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1 tsp pumpkin pie spice
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 375° F.
- Line a 17 x12.5 -inch jelly-roll pan with wax paper.
- Lay a thin cotton kitchen towel on counter and sprinkle with powdered sugar
- Combine flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, pumpkin pie spice and salt in small bowl. Beat eggs and granulated sugar in large bowl until thick. Add in pumpkin and beat until smooth.
- Stir in flour mixture.
- Spread evenly into prepared pan.
- Bake 16-18 minutes, until middle doesn't jiggle and edges are barely starting to brown.
- Pull out of pan, and turn over onto prepared towel.
- Peel off parchment paper and sprinkle cake with powdered sugar. Be careful when peeling paper
- Roll up the cake in the towel,
- Cool on a wire rack
- Beat cream cheese, powdered sugar, whipped cream and spice until smooth.
- Once cooled, carefully unroll cake.
- Spread cream cheese mixture over cake.
- Reroll cake. Wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate/freeze at least one hour.
- Sprinkle with powdered sugar before serving
Our recipe card software calculates these nutrition facts based on averages for the above ingredients, different brands, and quality of produce/meats may have different nutritional information, always calculate your own based on the specific products you use in order to achieve accurate macros for this recipe.