**I received a complimentary Ninja Auto IQ, which I used to make this awesome cake roll, but all opinions are my own!!!
Light and fluffy pumpkin sponge cake, and rich and creamy pumpkin spiced cream cheese whipped filling make this the perfect pumpkin alternative to pie, and an excellent dessert!
When I was growing up my mom always made the best pumpkin cake rolls. I looked forward to Fall because I knew she would make them. As an adult, I continue waiting for my mom to make them every year. Well, guess what? She hasn’t made them the past couple years, so I have gone without. Total sad face!
But then I remembered something…I am an adult, and I can make my own pumpkin cake roll! I don’t have to wait for my mommy to make it for me. Even though that is totally preferable because then I don’t have to clean up any messes. But this cake roll is so easy to make, and almost mess free, especially since I made the frosting in the blender! So I guess I found a great solution and one I was extremely happy with.
Do you want to know a secret? This recipe uses a boxed cake mix! That makes it so fast and easy to make, and reduces the work load, so no beating eggs and folding them in, which means even the most novice at home cook can make this tasty treat!
Pumpkin Cake Roll
- 1 box angel food cake
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 cup pumpkin puree
- 1 tsp LorAnn Pumpkin Spice Oil Or sub in a TBS of pumpkin pie spice
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar to keep from sticking to towel
- 8 ounces cream cheese
- 10 ounces whipped topping
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp pumpkin pie spice
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1 Tbs lemon juice
- 1 1/2 cups white chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup whipping cream
- 2 drops red food coloring
- 2 drops yellow food coloring
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- Beat cake mix together with water, pumpkin, and pumpkin spice oil
- Line a 17 1/2 x 12 inch jelly roll pan with parchment paper and spray with cooking spray
- Pour cake mixture into pan and bake 14-17 minutes until center is cooked, and no wobbly
- Prepare a dish towel by sprinkling with powdered sugar on it
- Place the hot cake on top of the towel, and peel off the parchment paper
- Sprinkle the other side of the cake, and roll up in the towel to form a log
- Let cool.
- Meanwhile, use a hand mixer or blender to mix together your filling ingredients
- When cake is cooled unroll it, remove it from dish towel, spread filling over it, and reroll
- Make ganache by heating white chocolate chips in a microwave safe bowl for 30 seconds, then stir in cream and heat again (approx 20 second intervals) until chocolate is melted, then add in food coloring, stir well, and pour over cake roll to coat.
- Cover and put in fridge for at least a couple hours, or freeze until ready to serve (plan to thaw 30 mins to an hour before serving).
Our recipe card software calculates these nutrition facts based on averages for the above ingredients, different brands, and quality of produce/meats may have different nutritional information, always calculate your own based on the specific products you use in order to achieve accurate macros for this recipe.
I loved how easy it was to make.
I was really skeptical about trying the Ninja because I have a Blendtec that I really love, and use, for just about everything. But I had seen The Ninja Auto IQ in demo at a food conference I went to, so when they asked if I would review it I figured that I might as well. After all, I realize not all of my readers have Blendtec, so I thought it would be good to try another brand. And the idea of a blender being pre-programmed with blending cycles to achieve optimal results intrigued me.
What did I think?
I was very impressed.
Easy to use: It was easy to use, as it is all programmed with auto control so you just push the button for your purpose. For this frosting I wanted it nice and smooth so I used the “Puree” button. I ran the cycle twice, and you can see the great results I got. I loved that it has a unique series of blends, pulses, etc to achieve the results you want.
Great Customer Service: I did have a question, and did not read my owner’s manual, I just emailed, and got a quick response with a great answer. Later I saw my question was on the FAQ list, but no one made me feel dumb for asking. What I was not sure about was why some buttons did not work with some of the containers, and the answer was simply the different programs are designed to work with different jars, so when the jar is attached to the base, it automatically tells you which programs work by lighting them up! So simple!
Consistent results: I found the results to be consistent and great. I tested it further with a salad dressing, green smoothie, and butternut squash soup. The results were great every time, and there was no guesswork, press a button and you are done! Eazy Peazy, just the way I like it.
And as you can see, the cake roll turned out pretty great!
Go ahead, make this awesome cake roll (from a box) for a party, for fun, or even as part of your Thanksgiving spread. I won’t tell anyone part of it came out of a box and you don’t have to either!
*I received the Auto IQ Ninja system free in order to facilitate this review, but all opinions are 100% my own.