Instant Pot Mississippi Chicken: The best chicken I have ever tasted, just a few simple ingredients, and cooked in the pressure cooker! Serve over top rice or potatoes, or in a sandwich.
This instant pot Mississippi Chicken offers bold flavors, and a deliciously easy meal. Because it is cooked in the pressure cooker, it comes together in just minutes. It is quick and easy, but it is also seriously tasty. My family could not get enough and is sure to be a family favorite chicken dinner.
Instant Pot Mississippi Chicken
Like this recipe? Pin it to your Instant Pot pinboard!
Follow Eazy Peazy Mealz on Pinterest
A few weeks ago I tried making a Mississippi Roast for the first time. It is such a simple thing to make, involving a chuck roast, a few packets of mix, like ranch and brown gravy, and then the real kicker…pepperoncini. I was skeptical, but it was absolutely delicious. I was chatting about it with a friend, and she asked if I had tried Mississippi chicken. She mentioned how good it was, so I gave it a try.
I opted to cook it in the instant pot because I am obsessed, but you could cook it in a slow cooker as well. And she was right. It was phenomenal. Probably one of my favorite ways to cook chicken ever. SO MUCH FLAVOR.
And it could not have been easier to make. I opted to skip the addition of butter because chicken thighs have plenty of oil in them and tend to stay moist and tender. But if you really want to add butter, go for it.
After the chicken was cooked, in just 8 minutes of pressure btw, awesome, I shredded it and returned it to the juices in the pot to help further infuse it with flavor. OMG it is good. I love cooking in the instant pot because it just makes for low mess and quick meals, and if you haven’t tried it yet, this dish will make you a believer.
Once it is all cooked, you can serve it however you want. You can eat it on mashed potatoes or rice, or you could make it into sandwiches. I opted to make the chicken into sandwiches. I used pretzel buns, and holy moly they were tasty! I love how versatile this chicken is, I think I might even try it in burritos or quesadillas. The flavor is great.
Instant Pot Mississippi Chicken Tips:
- Use Chicken Thighs: You can use breasts if you are in a pinch, but if you do, be sure to add butter to the pot. I prefer the thighs because it comes out so moist and tender.
- Trim the fat from your thighs. You are going to shred the chicken, so you don’t want to be biting into fat. Trim it before shredding or before cooking.
- Make sure your lid is sealed tight. Check the rubber ring is on properly. If steam is coming out from the sides, shut the pot off, remove the lid, adjust the ring, and replace the lid.
- To help your pot come to pressure faster you can turn the pot on to Saute while adding the ingredients, just be sure to put your liquid in first so you don’t burn anything onto the bottom of the pot.
- Let the instant pot naturally release for a little while (1o mins) before quick releasing as this will give you more tender chicken.
- Use more or less pepperoncini depending on how spicy you like it.
Other Instant Pot Recipes you will love
Instant Pot Mississippi Chicken
- 3 lbs chicken thighs
- 1 cup chicken stock
- 1 cup pepperoncini juice
- 2 Tbs ranch mix
- 2 Tbs brown gravy mix
- 6-8 pepperoncini
- Put all ingredients into the Instant Pot (6 Qt or larger)
- Stir well
- Put lid on, and lock into place. Set valve to sealing.
- Set manual pressure for 8 minutes
- After it comes to pressure and the 8 minutes are up, let pressure naturally release for 10 minutes.
- After the 10 minutes, quick release pressure by turning valve to venting
- Remove lid, remove chicken, and shred, return to the juices in the pot, or serve immediately over rice, mashed potatoes, or on buns/rolls!
Pin to your Instant Pot Board on Pinterest: