Beefy, filling, and oh so delicious, these “meatball” mini subs are a great family dinner.
Let’s talk about meat for a second. Do you love it? Do you use it often?
I stopped by a friend’s the other day for lunch, and she asked me if I “needed meat” with my lunch. I let her know I didn’t, and we laughed about how our husbands usually require that as part of a meal. Otherwise they think of the entrée more as a side.
I grew up in a family that eats plants. Lots and lots of plants. My husband’s family, on the other hand, is a meat and potato kind of family. This has lead to some interesting discussions, and even more interesting meal choices in our home.
I love a good steak, and usually include an animal based protein in our meals. However, I am perfectly content to skip the meat too. My kids are all over the spectrum, I have a daughter who prefers plant based meals, and a son who once thought “steak fries” were strips of steak, and was VERY disappointed when they turned out to be potatoes!
The huge range in thoughts over this subject, and dietary preferences, even within individual homes is why today I wanted to share Beyond Meat with you guys. I have been using it for a long time. You may remember these Beyond Meat Griddle Tacos I shared last year.
It is a plant based protein, often referred to as “The Future of Protein,” as Beyond Meat has created delicious products such as chicken strips and beef crumbles, and yep…you guessed it, meatballs, out of plants. The Beyond Meat products offer the same chew, resistance, texture, and feeling of eating meat, but are made from 100% plant proteins. It is actually really cool.
The idea is to allow families to keep eating their favorite meals, like these mini meatball subs, without the health risks, and downsides of a diet high in animal protein. But the good news is you do not have to be vegan, or even eat a really “healthy” diet to enjoy Beyond Meat products.
Beyond Meat is sponsoring a “Future of Protein secret substitution challenge” where you make a family favorite meal, and sub out the meat for one of their products, then see if your family can tell a difference.
I did this blind taste test with my family. I made these meatball subs, using the Beyond Meat Italian Meatballs. I simmered them in marinara, put them on crusty French rolls, and sprinkled a little cheese over the top. Then I broiled them a few minutes. I served them with a fresh salad, and sat at the table smugly laughing while my “steak fry” son told me how awesome of a dinner it was. My salad loving daughter chimed in saying it was “really, actually good mom.” Hahah, like my food isn’t usually good.
They had no idea what they were eating was 100% plant. When I did the reveal after dinner, and told them, I got a huge thumbs up from my daughter. My son was like, “Really?!!! Cool, I had no idea. I’d eat it again.” I was thrilled, and will definitely be making more substitutions in the future.
Plant protein is not uncommon, but it is starting to become more mainstream, with even elite athletes hopping on board as early adopters. If these elite athletes can see a benefit for themselves and their families, then I certainly can take a page out of J.J. Redick’s book and feed it to my family as well.
And doesn’t it look yummy?
It was, and you should totally make it. By making it, you can enter The Future of Protein Challenge Sweeps, and enter to win great prizes.
- Buy a discounted Beyond meat product with this coupon (CLICK HERE), and then use it in your family’s favorite meal. How about chili? Or Spaghetti with meat sauce? Or chicken alfredo? Find more recipe ideas here.
- After everyone has enjoyed the meal, reveal to them that the meat they just ate was made from 100% plants!
- Capture their thoughts, comments, and of course, empty plates and happy faces.
- Post your photos and a recap of the dinner to Instagram or Twitter by 11:00PM PST on 10/31, tagging “@ BeyondMeat” and “#FutureOfProtein.”- and you will be automatically entered into the sweepstakes.
- And you can enter more than once! Just repeat whenever your family eats a meal with Beyond Meat.
So what awesome prizes can you win? : Le Crueset cookware, 3 months of Chef’d meal delivery, a $500 Visa Gift Card, and a chance to watch the Beyond Meat athletes, J.J. Redick, David Wright, Maya Moore, DeAndre Jordan, April Ross, Eric Bledsoe, Maggie Vessey, and Tia Blanco, in action!
Now let’s get to the recipe:
"Meatball" Mini Subs + Blind Taste Test
- 1 package Beyond Meat Italian Meatballs
- 2 cups marinara make your own, or buy a bottle
- 3/4 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- 10 crusty french rolls sliced
- Fresh parsley for garnish
- Open Beyond Meat Italian meatballs, and dump into a small pot and pour marinara over the top.
- Turn on to medium-high heat, and keep an eye on it. You can stir it now and then, but not too much, you don't want to break up the meatballs.
- Bring to a boil, then turn down to medium, and let simmer for 5-10 minutes.
- Preheat oven to Broil on high.
- Slice crusty french rolls, and put 2 meatballs on each, spoon a little extra marinara over the top, and sprinkle on some cheese.
- Broil 5-7 minutes until cheese is melted (watch close so it doesn't burn), then garnish with fresh parsley and enjoy!
Our recipe card software calculates these nutrition facts based on averages for the above ingredients, different brands, and quality of produce/meats may have different nutritional information, always calculate your own based on the specific products you use in order to achieve accurate macros for this recipe.