Instant Pot Turkey Breast and Gravy
Tender, deliciously seasoned turkey breast, accompanied with homemade, easy to make gravy, this Instant Pot Turkey Breast and Gravy recipe makes for a great holiday meal or for any night of the week. Simply cook your turkey in the Instant Pot and the days of waiting all day for your turkey to be done are long gone.
I love this Instant Pot Turkey Breast and Gravy recipe not only because it is so tasty, but because I don’t have to plan several hours ahead of time to remember to get my turkey cooking. With this Instant Pot Turkey Breast and Gravy recipe, after one hour and thirty minutes I am ready for my main dish.
While I love a good Crockpot Turkey Breast and Gravy recipe, it’s nice to be able to make turkey breast and gravy in a pinch quickly in the Instant Pot.
What You Need to Make Instant Pot Turkey Breast and Gravy
This Instant Pot Turkey Breast and Gravy is fantastic. With the help of our friend the Instant Pot, a delicious turkey breast, and a small handful of other staples, you’ve got yourself a winner of a dish.
- 6 pound Whole, Bone in Turkey Breast, trimmed
- Salt and Pepper
- Garlic Clove
- Dried Sage
- All-Purpose Flour
- Apple Juice
- Low Sodium Chicken Broth
- 1 Bay Leaf
How to Make Instant Pot Turkey Breast and Gravy
Tips and Tricks for Pot Turkey Breast and Gravy
Making this recipe is Eazy Peazy but here are a couple tips and tricks to make it turn out right and get the best results every single time.
- Right Size for Right Time: If you are using a different size turkey breast than the recipe calls for, a general rule of thumb is that you cook the turkey in the Instant Pot for 6 minutes per pound of turkey. You additionally will let the turkey sit in the Instant Pot while you let the pot naturally release for about 10 minutes or so. Amount of liquid and spices may vary.
- Change It Up: I love the seasonings and flavor of this recipe. However, if you want a slightly different flavor profile, feel free to play around with spice combinations like for example rosemary and thyme.
- So Many Options: Leftover turkey is great for so many things. For example, use it in sandwiches or instead of chicken noodle soup use turkey. There are so many options.
- Searing Before Hand: If you don’t want to sear the turkey breast in the Instant Pot, you can also achieve that crispy outer coating by letting the finished turkey breast cook for a few minutes under the broiler. However, I think searing beforehand is best.
- Thickness of the Gravy: The turkey gravy comes out at a perfect consistency, but if it is not thick enough, whisk together a couple of tablespoons of cornstarch with about ¼ cup of water that is cold and then add it to the gravy in the Instant Pot.
Make Ahead and Storage
Great news, you can make this turkey breast 1-2 days ahead and it will still be oh so delicious.
- Follow the recipe as normal.
- Let the turkey completely cool.
- Carve the turkey into large pieces.
- Place the turkey into an airtight container until ready to serve.
- Reheat on low in the oven at about 300 degrees in a baking dish to help keep the turkey tender and moist.
- Put some gravy over the turkey to prevent it from getting dry and cover with foil.
- Take turkey out of the oven once heated all the way through.
You can cook the turkey and freeze it for a later time.
- Follow directions as normal in regards to how to cook the turkey breast.
- Let the turkey cook all the way through.
- Put turkey in a gallon sized freezer bag with gravy sitting on top.
- Defrost in the fridge and reheat in the oven as mentioned above.
*Turkey should last in the freezer for up to 2 months.
Other Great Recipes:
- Air Fryer Turkey Breast
- Sweet Potato Shepherd’s Pie with Ground Turkey or Beef
- Easy Stuffing Recipe
- Herb Butter Mashed Potatoes: How To Make Mashed Potatoes
- How to Smoke A Turkey (Recipe)
Instant Pot Turkey Breast
- Serves 6
- Total time 1 ½ hours
- 6 pound Whole Bone in Turkey Breast, trimmed
- Salt and Pepper
- ¼ teaspoon paprika
- 2 1/2 Tablespoons Butter
- 1 Yellow Onion chopped fine
- 1 Carrot peeled and Chopped coarse
- 1 garlic clove peeled and smashed
- 1 ½ teaspoons dried sage
- 3 Tablespoons all-purpose flour
- ¼ cup apple juice
- 2 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 1 bay leaf
- Use kitchen shears to trim excess fat and skin off the turkey breast.
- Pat turkey breast dry with a paper towel, and season with salt, pepper, and paprika
- Turn your instant pot on to the “saute” setting.
- Add 1 Tablespoon of butter into the liner, and let it melt, place the turkey breast, skin side down, into the butter. Let sear for 5 minutes, until a golden brown.
- Use tongs to remove turkey breast from the liner and transfer to a plate. Set aside.
- Add the onion and carrots to the instant pot, and cook on saute for 5 minutes.
- After 5 minutes, add the garlic, and sage, and cook for 1 minute.
- Stir in flour, and cook for 30 seconds to a minute.
- Then whisk in apple juice, smoothing out any lumps.
- Cook for 1 minute until slightly reduced, then stir in the chicken stock, and use a wooden spoon to scrape any of the brown bits off the bottom to avoid getting a “burn” notice.
- Place turkey breast, meat side up into the liquid, and add any liquid that is on the plate to the pot.
- Place lid onto instant pot, and lock into place. Set valve to the sealing position.
- Turn off saute function, and press “pressure cook”, and cook on high pressure for 35 minutes (plus 10 minute time to come to pressure).
- When time is up, do a quick pressure release and carefully remove the lid.
- Transfer the turkey breast to a carving board, and tent with aluminum foil, Top with a pat of butter, and let rest for 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, strain the remaining liquid and things in the pot through a fine-mesh stainer, over a large bowl. Discard what is left in the strainer.
- Then return the liquid to the pot. Turn instant pot to saute. Skim fat off the top if needed. Bring liquid to a simmer.
- Cook for the 15 minutes while the turkey rests, until the gravy is thickened.
- Turn off pot, and and whisk in remaining ½ Tablespoon of butter.
- Taste and season with salt and pepper to preference.
- Carve turkey breast, and serve with the gravy.
Our recipe card software calculates these nutrition facts based on averages for the above ingredients, different brands, and quality of produce/meats may have different nutritional information, always calculate your own based on the specific products you use in order to achieve accurate macros for this recipe.
Pin to your Dinner board on Pinterest: