A sweet heat pork that is so versatile and flavorful you won’t mind eating it for every meal! And it is made in the slow cooker to simplify your life!
Okay, maybe not EVERY meal, but seriously, this has some pretty awesome flavor to it, and I promise you will like it enough you won’t complain if you have it on a quesadilla for lunch, and over a plate of rice for dinner! It really is that good. IMHO!
Here’s the thing, I almost did not put it on this site, not because it did not pass the flavor muster, but because it has a lot of ingredients, and seems complicated. But truth be told, it is not very hard to make. You marinate the meat. Then you put it in the crock pot with some ingredients, and leave it alone for 8 hours. Then you drain it, mix in a few more ingredients, and eat it! So not really that hard, but don’t let the long list of spices scare you away, it is worth the extra effort. AND…and…and, if you do what I do and cook it in bulk, you will actually find yourself saving time because you get 5 meals out of it (or whatever), so really it is faster than even making Blue Box Mac and Cheese! Just sayin’…
The recipe inspiration is from Jen over at Carlsbad Cravings, she made an amazing looking sweet pulled pork, and used chipolte, which I love, but my kids are not as big of fans of, so I changed it up some, adding in a little more of what we love, and used Dr. Pepper instead of Coke because I love the DP! I threw in some onions, and well…a few other changes. Basically it was awesome, and is awesome, either way! So awesome! Cuz “everything is awesome” duh na nah na let’s get to the recipe now.
Slow Cooker Sweet Spiced Pork
- 1/2 Tbs chili powder
- 1/2 Tbs garlic powder
- 1/2 Tbs coriander
- 1/2 Tbs onion powder
- 1/2 Tbs paprika
- 1/2 Tbs cumin
- 1/2 Tbs black pepper
- 1/2 Tbs salt
- 1/2 cup soy sauce
- 1 can Dr. Pepper
- 1 cup salsa
- 1 cup brown sugar divided
- 1 can diced green chilies
- 1 can red enchilada sauce
- 1 tsp Sriracha
- 4 lbs pork roast
- 1 medium onion sliced
- Mix together spice mixture
- Put pork roast into a sealable bag, and pour in soy sauce, half the can of Dr. Pepper, and half the spice rub.
- Marinade in the fridge for 4-16 hours
- Put roast, and marinade in slow cooker on low heat add in salsa. onion, green chilies and 1/2 a cup of brown sugar
- Cook 8-10 hours
- At about 7 hours, pour contents of slow cooker into a strainer, emptying the sauce it cooked in.
- Shred the pork and return it to the slow cooker.
- Open enchilada sauce, sriracha, the other half of the brown sugar, Dr.Pepper, and spice mixture
- Stir well
- Cook one more hour and enjoy in tacos, burritos, enchiladas, in salads, or over rice