This post is sponsored by Ragu, all opinions are my own. #simmeredintradition
Spicy Italian Lasagna Roll-ups are easy to make, full of flavor, and the perfect weeknight meal. You can even make them ahead and freeze them for busy nights. And the individually portioned roll-ups also make great lunches.
I am really excited to share this recipe with you guys! My daughter’s favorite food is lasagna so you might think I make it a lot, especially since let’s be honest…my kids rule my life. However, the sad fact is I do not make it enough because it takes So. Dang. Long. But these spicy Italian lasagna roll ups are quick and easy, and my whole family loves them. One of the things I really love about this recipe is you can make it ahead of time and freeze, and it cooks up really well. Just defrost in the fridge, and bake a few minutes extra!
Also, because they are rolled-up, they are already portioned out, making them super easy for things like meal prep, and lunches. Just trust me, eazy peazy, flavorful, and convenient. It is like the perfect combo! So watch this video to see just how easy these are to make.
This recipe just has a few simple ingredients, and is super easy to scale. The two things you want to keep in mind are:
- After cooking your lasagna noodles, lay them out flat (and separate) on a parchment lined tray. Otherwise they stick to each other and it is a mess.
- Don’t overfill your roll up or the toppings seep out the sides. Start with one to get a feel for it. (pun intended)
Tell me this doesn’t look amazing? We had them for dinner, and yet I just really, really, really want to go heat up one of the ones I stuck in a container for lunch tomorrow. And I am not even hungry.
So obviously they taste great, and they do not take long to pull together. But this recipe is also super easy to scale. While the recipe is for 8 roll-ups, doubling the batch is quick and easy, and would mean you can have one meal now, and one ready to go for later!
In an effort to keep things simple, without losing flavor, I use a bottled pasta sauce–the new Bold and Spicy, Spicy Italian Style Ragu. I first tried this sauce a few weeks back when I used it in this Pasta E Fagioli recipe to give it a little kick, I absolutely LOVED it, as in, it is now on my weekly shopping list.
So while it is “spicy” don’t worry it is not going to burn your mouth. My kids even like it, especially my 11 year old. In fact, I wish words were adequate for how much my family likes this sauce. And that little kick to it makes it absolutely amazing in these roll ups, especially paired with the hot Italian sausage and the creamy ricotta mixture.
I don’t know about you guys, but one of my resolutions this year is to eat more dinners with the family. But holy hannah, is it just me, or are the hours from 3-6 straight up torture? I mean seriously, I swear all I do is drive a zig zag across our town running this kid here and that kid there. Anyway, makes it hard to find time during normal dinner prep hours to fix something so I have had to find solutions for dinner I can make ahead and that hold up well.
This one is particularly awesome because I can make it in the morning, and it is not like the noodles get soggy, or it gets gross. It tastes awesome.
So dish up!
Spicy Italian Lasagna Roll Ups
- 8 Lasagna Noodles
- 1/2 pound Hot Italian Sausage
- 1/2 cup fresh basil leaf
- 1 cup ricotta
- 3/4 cup cottage cheese
- 1 tsp garlic granules
- 1 tsp thyme
- 1 tsp dried basil
- 1 cup mozzarella cheese
- 1- 24 ounce bottle Ragu Spicy Italian Style sauce
- Additional fresh basil
- Cook lasagna noodles according to package directions, and lay them out individually on a parchment lined baking sheet.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a skillet, over medium heat, brown the hot italian sausage, drain off any excess fat, and set aside
- Slice fresh basil into small pieces
- Mix together basil, ricotta, cottage cheese, garlic, thyme, and dried basil
- Divide ricotta filling mixture evenly between the 8 lasagna noodles, and spread it out
- Top with sausage crumbles
- Spoon on some of the Ragu Spicy Italian Style sauce
- Roll up
- Pour a cup of Ragu into the bottom of an 11 x 7 glass baking dish
- Put the 8 lasagna roll ups into the dish, top with the rest of the bottle of Ragu, and sprinkle the mozzarella cheese over the top.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes until cheese is melty.
- Remove from oven, garnish with additional fresh basil if desired and serve!
Our recipe card software calculates these nutrition facts based on averages for the above ingredients, different brands, and quality of produce/meats may have different nutritional information, always calculate your own based on the specific products you use in order to achieve accurate macros for this recipe.
Don’t forget to pin for later: