We love tacos at our house, and so I am always experimenting with them. I was at the grocery store the other day and saw this yummy looking Litehouse dressing. I like to make my own dressings, but this one intrigued me, so I bought it. It was Fuji Apple.
Anyway, I kept trying to think of something that would be good with this dressing, other than a salad. Nothing came to mind. Then, a few days ago I had my sister over, and made some coconut encrusted chicken, because I had it in the freezer and it is a quick meal. We had just been swimming and we were starving so I baked it up and it was really quick and really good. I was explaining it to someone else as “Like coconut shrimp, but on chicken”.
I love coconut, so I got to thinking how good a coconut encrusted tilapia would be. Tilapia is such a sweet mild fish, and I use it in tacos all the time. This is a great recipe. Anyway, it struck me, I could make a sweet taco, use coconut encrusted tilapia pieces, and make a sweet slaw using apples, cabbage, red onion, and carrot matchsticks, and use the fuji apple dressing on it. Here is what I ended up with. It is yummy!
A few of my steps:
I started by making the slaw.
Then I took my tilapia and cut it into pieces, dredged it, dipped it, and encrusted it with coconut.
I was heating my oil while I prepared the fish, so I was ready to cook it, but wanted to start my tortillas, since the fish cooks quickly I wanted everything to be ready about the same time.
I mixed up my cilantro jalapeno sour cream.
And I started to assemble my tacos.
Sweet Tilapia Fish Tacos
- 3 tilapia fillets
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 c flour
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- 1/2 tsp chili powder
- 1 cup sweetened dried coconut flakes
- Oil for frying
- 1 apple grated
- 1 carrot crated
- 1/2 small cabbage grated
- 1/2 red onion grated
- 1/2 c Litehouse Fuji Apple dressing or use some sugar and vinegar to make your own
Cilantro jalapeno sour cream
- 1/2 c sour cream
- 1/4 a jalapeno chopped fine
- 1 Tbs Cilantro chopped fine
- 8 Corn tortilla shells
- Mix together flour and spices together in a shallow dish.
- Beat eggs in a separate dish.
- Cut tilapia into pieces about 1 inch in size.
- Dredge each piece of Tilapia in flour and spices mixture
- Then dip into the beaten eggs
- Once dredged in eggs, press dried coconut onto the fish so it is coated in coconut.
- Set on plate
- Heat oil in fry pan to 350 degrees F.
- Fry 1-2 minutes per side, until coconut is golden brown and fish is cooked through
- Grate carrot, apple, onion, and cabbage, mix together in a large bowl, stir in Fuji Apple dressing
Cilantro Jalapeno Sour Cream
- Chop cilantro fine
- Chop jalapeno fine, use gloves so not to burn skin
- Stir into sour cream
- Heat griddle to 325
- Put corn tortillas on griddle and heat until crispy.
- Top with tilapia pieces, fold over, and keep on heat until sufficiently crispy
- Garnish with slaw and sour cream, squeeze lime on top
If you like a little extra spice, feel free to add extra jalapeno to the sour cream mixture.
Our recipe card software calculates these nutrition facts based on averages for the above ingredients, different brands, and quality of produce/meats may have different nutritional information, always calculate your own based on the specific products you use in order to achieve accurate macros for this recipe.