This post is sponsored by Vital Proteins, all opinions are my own.
BBQ Chicken Skewers with Homemade BBQ sauce. A sweet and slightly spicy BBQ sauce with added protein makes it the perfect sauce for chicken, seafood, or veggies!
You guys know how much I love adding Vital Proteins Collagen Peptides to various recipes to up the protein amount, well, recently I discovered adding it to sauces and dressings. I made this Green Goddess dip/dressing and loved every bite of it, so I knew I had to keep adding protein to sauces and dips. And with summer here, and grilling happening regularly, I figured there was nothing better to add it to than BBQ sauce.
A lot of grilling is happening. We recently bought my parent’s house, but before they moved out, they helped my kids plant a garden. And we got the first harvest from the garden, some zucchini. One of my favorite ways to eat zucchini in the summer is on a kabob or skewer and grilled. So I knew I needed to take the protein packed BBQ sauce I made, and slather it on a chicken skewer.
These chicken skewers are easy to make, and the homemade BBQ sauce is insanely delicious, and tastes like a copy cat of Sweet Baby Ray’s! Remember that when grilling with a BBQ sauce it is best to cook the meat most of the way before you sauce it as the burning point for sugar is a lower temperature than the cooking point for chicken. So cook most of the way, then sauce and finish, otherwise, it will be burnt, and tough, and you don’t want that.
This sauce is amazing on chicken, but it is also good on shrimp, burgers, wings, etc. Just make it and devour it, and lick your fingers, and you can thank me later!
I hope you enjoy!
More Great Recipes
- Raspberry Pistachio Shortbread Bars
- Brownie Cookie Sandwiches with Peppermint Icing
- Toffee Pecan Christmas Cookies
- Shepherd’s Pie
- Scalloped Potatoes
BBQ Chicken Skewers (Homemade Protein BBQ Sauce)
- 2 lbs chicken
- Red onion
- Cherry tomatoes
- Salt and pepper
Protein BBQ Sauce
- 1 1/4 cups ketchup
- 1 cup dark brown sugar
- 1/4 cup molasses
- 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1 Tbs worchestire sauce
- 2 1/2 Tbs dijon mustard
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 tsp hot sauce
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 2 scoops Vital Proteins Collagen Peptides
- Soak 8 wooden skewers in water for at least 30 minutes.
- Combine all the protein BBQ sauce ingredients in a medium sized saucepan.
- Bring to a boil, then reduce and simmer for ten to fifteen minutes or until desired thickness is achieved.
- Set aside.
- Preheat your grill to 300-350 degrees F.
- Cut the chicken breasts into 3/4 inch bite-sized pieces.
- Then cut the veggies into equal sizes pieces.
- Alternate threading the chicken and veggies onto 8 skewers, leaving a bare handle on one end of each skewer.
- Season the chicken skewers with salt and pepper.
- Grill the chicken skewers for 4-5 minutes per side.
- Brush the skewers with the homemade protein bbq sauce
- Grill another 3-4 minutes per side, until cooked through, but not burned.
- Serve warm.
Our recipe card software calculates these nutrition facts based on averages for the above ingredients, different brands, and quality of produce/meats may have different nutritional information, always calculate your own based on the specific products you use in order to achieve accurate macros for this recipe.
Pin to your GRILLING board: