This post is sponsored by Horizon Organic, all opinions are my own.
Easy Scalloped Potatoes:
Thin slices of potatoes, bathed in a creamy sauce, and layered atop each other, then topped with additional cheese, and baked until bubbly, cooked through, soft, tender, golden brown. Garnished with fresh chives.
This is the ultimate comfort food. Creamy, cheesy, potato goodness that compliments any protein, and is so tasty. But also, it is easy to make. With a few simple tools, and common ingredients, you can transform the humble russet potato into this masterpiece of culinary delight.
Making the cheese sauce for scalloped potatoes is essentially accomplished by making a roux, which is the combination of butter and flour. Then slowly adding milk until you get a thick and smooth sauce. Then you stir in your cheese of choice and seasonings, and continue stirring over a low heat until smooth and creamy!
The beautiful think about the cheese sauce for scalloped potatoes is you can add whatever cheese you would like, as well as whatever seasonings you would like. I always start with salt and pepper, and then add things like garlic, cayenne, etc. depending on who I am making it for, and what I am serving it with.
Taste it, and have fun with it. Remember, potatoes are fairly bland in flavor, so your cheese sauce is what carries the flavor of this dish. make it a good one!
More Recipes You will love
- Low Carb Satay Beef Meal Prep (Keto)
- Keto Diet Snacks
- Keto Chicken Satay with Peanut Dipping Sauce
- Jalapeño Popper Stuffed Chicken Breast (Keto Low-Carb) Air Fryer
- Butter Chicken (Low Carb, Keto)
- 4 organic russet potatoes
- Organic salt and pepper to taste
- 2 Tbs Horizon Organic butter divided
- 3 Tbs organic all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp organic salt
- 2 cups Horizon Organic Whole Milk
- 6 ounces Horizon Organic Shredded Cheese - Cheddar
- 2 cups Horizon Organic Shredded Cheese - Mexican blend
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F (200 degrees C).
- Use a mandolin slicer to thinly slice organic potatoes
- Spray a 2 qt or larger casserole dish with non-stick cooking spray.
- Layer 1/2 of the potatoes into bottom of the prepared casserole dish. Set aside
- In a medium-size saucepan, melt 2 Tbs Horizon Organic butter over medium heat.
- Mix in the organic flour and stir constantly with a whisk for one minute.
- Slowly add Horizon Organic Whole Milk while whisking.
- Cook until mixture has thickened and is smooth and creamy.
- Add salt, and pepper, stir well.
- Stir in 6 ounces Horizon Organic Shredded Cheddar Cheese and continue stirring until melted, and totally smooth, about 30 to 60 seconds. Remove from heat.
- Pour half the Horizon Organic Shredded Cheese sauce over the sliced potatoes.
- Sprinkle 1 cup Horizon Organic Shredded Mexican Blend Cheese over the top
- Add remaining potatoes and then top with the remaining cheese mixture.
- Add a thin layer of Horizon Organic Shredded Cheese on top, and cover the dish with aluminum foil.
- Bake 1 1/2 hours in the preheated oven.
- Remove aluminum foil and bake another 10 minutes until cheese is melty and a little crisp on the edges.
- Garnish with organic chives
Our recipe card software calculates these nutrition facts based on averages for the above ingredients, different brands, and quality of produce/meats may have different nutritional information, always calculate your own based on the specific products you use in order to achieve accurate macros for this recipe.
Pin to your Side Dish board on Pinterest: