I am always looking for a good chicken pot pie filling. This is one of several I have tried. It was pretty tasty. It ended up being a little green tinged, I think that might have had something to do with the parsley and oregano. And, it was not very thick. I was planning to use it to make pockets, where I use this pastry dough recipe, so I wanted it thicker. I used Cornaby’s Ultra Gel – Instant, Gluten-Free, non-GMO Food Thickener for Cooking and Canning, 16-Ounces to thicken it. This would also be a great recipe to use leftover turkey after the holidays. You can freeze these and enjoy them all year round. Yummy!
If you use it to make pockets like those pictured, use this dough recipe, and assemble by cutting out, filling, and crimping edges, then freeze. When ready to prepare, follow these instructions:
- Preheat oven to 375, line baking sheet
- Place pockets on tray, pierce top with fork.
- Beat an egg with 1 TBS water, brush on each pocket pie or for a faster method, brush top with milk.
- Bake 20-25 minutes
- Let rest 5 minutes before serving
Chicken Pot Pie Filling
- 4 Tablespoons butter
- 1/2 cup onion minced
- 1 cup celery chopped
- 1 cup carrots diced
- 3 Tablespoons dried parsley
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 cup chicken stock
- 3 potatoes peeled and cubed small
- 1 1/2 lbs chicken breast bonesless, skinless, cubed small
- 3 1/2 Tablespoons flour
- 1/2 cup milk or heavy cream
- 1/2 cup frozen peas
- Place 2 Tbs of butter in skillet over medium heat, and melt.
- Add chicken, onion, celery, carrots, parsley, oregano, salt and pepper
- Cook and stir until veggies are soft and chicken is cooked through, about 8-10 minutes.
- Add in flour, and stir until everything is coated with flour.
- Slowly stir in the chicken stock and milk or heavy cream, and bring mixture to a boil, cook for 4-5 minutes until it starts to thicken.
- Taste, and season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Let sit for 15-20 minutes to thicken.
- Use filling as desired- Consider cream cheese pastry dough to make pot pie pockets.
- Pour into unbaked pie shells, cover, cut slits in top, and bake at 425 for 15 minutes, then reduce temperate to 350 and bake for 20 minutes until crust is golden brown.
Our recipe card software calculates these nutrition facts based on averages for the above ingredients, different brands, and quality of produce/meats may have different nutritional information, always calculate your own based on the specific products you use in order to achieve accurate macros for this recipe.