Chicken Stroganoff, creamy chicken and mushroom sauce, served over pasta. This is a home cooked chicken pasta recipe that requires simple and basic ingredients producing a much more than simple taste.
Make this chicken stroganoff recipe when you are looking for a true comfort food that is easy in execution and offers protein packed goodness.
If you are in the mood for a great chicken and pasta recipe, look no further. My Chicken Stroganoff recipe is an easy chicken pasta recipe that is not only tasty, but is great for those evenings when you want to curl up and eat a home cooked meal that is complete enough to serve as a stand alone dish. No sides required.
What is Stroganoff Sauce Made of?
Stroganoff is a staple in many homes. Chicken Stroganoff is a great take on Beef Stroganoff, which is originally a Russian recipe.
However, just like with all recipes people adapt and change things, making adjustments based on personal preference, creating a stroganoff with another great flare, Chicken Stroganoff.
In a nutshell Chicken Stroganoff is like Beef Stroganoff except it contains chicken. Stroganoff is basically a creamy sauce containing sautéed pieces of meat. In America, people usually like to serve it over egg noodles.
Basic Ingredients in Stroganoff Sauce:
- Chicken and Chicken Broth or Beef and Beef Broth
- Onions, Garlic, and Mushrooms
- Sour Cream
*Note: If you want to make a vegetarian stroganoff, make a mushroom stroganoff by simply omitting the meat and substituting vegetable broth for chicken or beef broth.
If you haven’t already got one, I recommend a good skillet for this recipe, like this one from Amazon.
What Can Be Substituted for Sour Cream?
Sour cream gives stroganoff it’s creamy texture, but as in life sometimes you get all ingredients out and realize you are missing one key ingredient. Isn’t that just the worst?
I immediately find myself blaming the other members of the family for finishing off the last of some needed item before considering that it could be my fault that something didn’t make it on the shopping list. My fault? That doesn’t sound right.
Either way, you don’t have the ingredient. Now what?
There are actually quite a few substitute options for sour cream. As always, due to personal preference some options will be more favorable than others.
Ingredients that Can Be Substituted for Sour Cream in Chicken Stroganoff:
- Cream Cheese
- Plain Greek Yogurt with Lemon Juice
- Heavy Cream with Added Thickener (agar) and then Lemon Juice
- Cup of Cottage Cheese with 1 tbs of Lemon Juice and 2 tbs Milk
As mentioned before, it’s personal preference. Many people choose to use Greek yogurt over sour cream for a healthier option. Greek yogurt is significantly lower in calories than sour cream.
For me personally, Greek yogurt definitely has its place and I like it a lot. However, for Chicken Stroganoff, if I don’t have sour cream I tend to choose using cream cheese. I really like the flavor and I think it compliments nicely the other ingredients.
Either way, no matter what sour cream substitute you choose, just know that if you are ever in the midst of making a delicious stroganoff and you realize you tragically don’t have sour cream, it really isn’t a tragedy at all. You have other options to work with.
Chicken Stroganoff is a Crowd Pleaser!
As the grilling season shortly comes to an end and you find yourself doing more cooking inside, consider making my yummy Chicken Stroganoff. It’s not hard and many of the ingredients you probably already have on hand. And if you don’t, there are some great substitute options.
Chicken Stroganoff is a mouth watering delicious meal that will make you want to literally lick your plate clean. However, make sure to save room for dessert. Eazy Peazy Mealz No Bake Butterscotch Pie is a perfect end to this perfect meal.
- 2 lbs boneless skinless chicken breasts cubed
- Salt and pepper
- 1 Tbs olive oil
- 2 tsp garlic minced
- 3 Tbs butter divided
- 8 ounce baby bella sliced mushrooms
- ½ a yellow onion diced fine
- 2 Tbs flour
- 1 cup chicken stock
- ½ tsp ground mustard
- ½ tsp onion powder
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- ¾ cup sour cream
- 4 ounce cream cheese softened
- salt and pepper to taste
- fresh parsley chopped for garnish
- 1 pound large egg noodles for serving
- Cut chicken into cubes, and season with salt and pepper
- In a large skillet, add 1 Tbs olive oil, and 2 tsps minced garlic, and saute for 1 minute.
- Add chicken to pan, and saute until browned on all sides, but not cooked through.
- Remove chicken, placing it in a large bowl, and set aside.
- Add1 Tbs butter, mushrooms and onions to the skillet and cook for 5-6 minutes, sauteeing until onions are tender. Remove from skillet, adding to the same bowl as the chicken
- Add remaining butter to skillet.
- Add flour, and whisk it together, making a roux.
- Add chicken broth, slowly, stirring constantly so it doesn’t get lumpy.
- Stir in ground mustard, garlic powder, onion powder, cream cheese and sour cream.
- Stir in chicken and vegetables, and let simmer for a few minutes, until heated through.
- Serve over egg noodles and garnish with fresh chopped parsley
Our recipe card software calculates these nutrition facts based on averages for the above ingredients, different brands, and quality of produce/meats may have different nutritional information, always calculate your own based on the specific products you use in order to achieve accurate macros for this recipe.
Pin to your Dinner board: