Healthy Lemon Skillet Chicken: An easy lemon chicken recipe with bursts of fresh lemon and subtle hints of garlic and honey. After 5 simple steps, you could be serving this to die for one skillet lemon chicken tonight.
This simple chicken meal is packed with flavor, and most, if not all of the ingredients are staples in my house. The lemon is the star, adding bold flavor to your chicken breast. It adds a nice burst of flavor without being overpowering. The honey adds a little touch of sweetness while the garlic and seasonings really bring it altogether. Sometimes simple tastes best, and it doesn’t get any easier or more satisfying than this. And since it’s a one skillet dish, cleanup is a breeze. Music to my ears!
Easy chicken recipes are a go to in most households, it’s definitely a favored protein for my family. But I can easily get in a rut of how to marinade, season, or prepare it. This recipe livens it back up, and not only is it a healthy chicken recipe, but it’s SO gosh darn flavorful! AND the chicken comes out moist and tender. You and your family will be so pleased with this one! I know mine is!
Having a restaurant quality meal on my table in less than 25 minutes is such a win in my book. My family is happy, I’m happy, and our bellies are happy. And here’s a little secret….THIS lemon garlic chicken recipe is that simple, AND it tastes and looks like it came from a five star restaurant. The sauce is easy to make, the method too, and when it all comes together it is fantastic.
What sides can I pair with my lemon chicken breasts?
Oh my goodness, your options are nearly endless!
I think a perfect or ideal meal for us would include a starch and a vegetable. My favorites sides to pair with this dish are Garlic Green Beans, and depending on the night either Super Easy Mashed Potatoes or Garlic Parmesan Roasted Potatoes. I might even add these Simple and Quick Dinner Rolls or Garlic Bread Twists recipe if I’m really trying to impress my family.
You could also chop the chicken up and add it to a salad, or even a pasta. I can’t even begin to tell you how versatile this lemon skillet chicken recipe is.
What’s the best type of skillet to cook my lemon chicken in?
I will always, always say cast iron hands down.
Cast iron is safer than most modern cookware, like aluminum and teflon. It’s stronger and more durable since it’s one solid piece, it can easily go from stovetop to oven, cast iron holds heat well, and cooks evenly. And the best part is cast iron is easy to clean and can be nonstick if they are well seasoned.
Teflon in nonstick but can’t be used at high heat, and is easily scratched. And once it is damaged and starts peeling it becomes very unsafe to cook with. Stainless steel is pretty safe, but it also can’t be used at high heat and cooks unevenly. And not to mention how bad everything sticks.
Cast iron does have a few downfalls, like how heavy it is, and how it needs to be preheated before use. But I think all the positives outweigh the few negatives. Plus I feel like it adds a rusticness to your meal, just look how gorgeous this lemon cast iron skillet chicken breast looks. YUMM!!
Why Pan Sear Chicken?
Pan searing chicken is great if you pound it thin. It gives you a nice caramelized exterior, and a well-cooked, but juicy interior. It also makes it easy to make a pan sauce. Here are a few tips for getting the perfect pan sear:
- Preheat your pan.
- Use some fat (oil or butter)
- Pound the chicken into even thickness.
- Once you place the chicken in the skillet, don’t move it. The sear won’t form as well, and it could rip up the exterior of the chicken.
- Cook to the right temperature. You want the interior to reach 165 degrees.
More Great Recipes
- Lemon Chicken Pasta
- Creamy Tuscan Chicken Penne
- 3 Ingredient Peanut Butter Cookies
- Roasted Greek Vegetables
- Caprese Salad
Are you looking for an easy weeknight dinner solution?
Try the Eazy Peazy Mealz Recipe Binder: Get a printable version of all our favorite recipes in one convenient e-book for only $5!
Plus, you’ll get so much more, from conversion charts and tips, to meal planning worksheets and shopping lists. 200 + pages to make your weeknights easier.
⇒ ⇒ Get it here ⇐ ⇐
Healthy Lemon Skillet Chicken
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- Salt and pepper
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1/3 cup chicken broth
- 4 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- ¼ tsp oregano
- ¼ tsp parsley
- ¼ tsp rosemary
- optional: fresh rosemary and lemon slices for garnish
- Place chicken between pieces of plastic wrap, and use a meat mallet to pound chicken until even thickness
- Season with salt and pepper on both sides.
- Put butter in a large skillet, and turn on to medium heat.
- Cook chicken for 5-7 minutes on each side over medium heat until browned and cooked through. Transfer to a plate and cover to keep warm.
- To same skillet add broth, lemon juice, honey, minced garlic, and herbs
- Whisk sauce together, and cook until it starts to reduce.
- Add chicken back into pan, and coat with sauce cook until sauce is reduced to desired thickness.
- Serve with fresh cracked pepper, lemon, and fresh rosemary as garnish if desired.
Our recipe card software calculates these nutrition facts based on averages for the above ingredients, different brands, and quality of produce/meats may have different nutritional information, always calculate your own based on the specific products you use in order to achieve accurate macros for this recipe.
Pin to your chicken board on Pinterest: