Hearty Stuffed Peppers Recipe: Peppers loaded with ground beef, keilbasa, and lots of fantastic veggies for a healthy, quick, easy, and anytime meal. Prep ahead and freeze for even greater ease.
This easy stuffed bell pepper recipe is delicious. Simple ingredients stuffed into bell peppers and baked to perfection. Easily made ahead of time and frozen for a convenient meal.
A modern take on a classic pioneer woman stuffed pepper
Hearty Stuffed Peppers: When I was growing up, my parents used to make stuffed peppers. They were always so tasty, and I remember being the only one of us kids that liked them. Because of that, I didn’t really ever make them for my own family. And I was totally missing out.
A stuffed pepper is basically a really great vehicle for a yummy filling. And it is so easy to customize to your preference, or what you have in your fridge, or what is seasonal. It is also easy to make it gluten free, and able to meet many dietary restrictions.
Stuffed Peppers as a ready-to-go healthy meal
These Hearty Stuffed Peppers are an excellent way to get extra veggies into your diet, and to have something healthy on hand. I simply prepare them ahead of time, and freeze. Then pull out the day I want to use them, let them thaw, and bake.
This means too that if my kids don’t want a Hearty Stuffed Pepper they can have a PB & J and I can still have a great tasting, hot meal for one. Without a huge mess.
I love being able to just pull one hearty stuffed pepper out and bake it up. The mess is minimal and I don’t have to think about what I am going to make. That is always a plus for me on a busy day.
Tips for making the best stuffed peppers
- Cook the brown rice thoroughly. You don’t want it to be crunchy in the peppers.
- Drain the grease from the ground beef or you food will be oily, and not nearly as healthy.
- Put the cheese on at the beginning and cover with foil while baking or add it in the last ten minutes of baking.
- Look for peppers who have a relatively flat bottom so they will stand up when filled. Otherwise put them in a baking dish with sides so they can be propped up.
How to make Easy Hearty Stuffed Peppers
- Step one: Start your rice. Brown rice takes a while to cook, so I always get it started before washing and dicing the rest. I like to use my handy rice cooker.
- Step two: Get your peppers ready. I like to use the tops I cut off in other things, waste not want not, so I always dice the tops up, and use them in omelets, etc. the next day, or in other meals if I am doing a big cooking day. Or you can chop them up and add them to the filling mixture.
- Step three: Get it all cooking! Cook your sausage and veggies and mix them into the rice.
- Step four: Let cool, then mix in cheese
- Step Five: Stuff, and top! (Sometimes I like to wait to add the cheese to the end of the baking period so that it doesn’t get to browned like it is in the pictures. It’s up to you.
- Step six: Freeze or bake and enjoy!
More recipes that you might enjoy:
- Sheet Pan Beef and Broccoli
- Easy Mongolian Beef
- BBQ Beef Mini Taco Cups
- Honey Balsamic Marinade Beef Kabobs
- Italian Beef Stew (Slow Cooker)
Pin to your Dinner board on Pinterest: