If you want a healthy bread that doesn’t taste healthy, look no further. This bread uses whole wheat flour, applesauce, and honey, so no sugar, and tons of healthy goodness. And to add even more amazingness, this is a quick bread. It comes together in about 5 minutes, and bakes for about an hour. This means it is the perfect banana bread. Very little work, very little clean up, and lots of flavor.
My family goes in cycles with bananas, sometimes I can’t keep enough in the house, and other times they start to go brown before anyone touches them. This week my bananas were starting to get too ripe, so I knew it was going to be a banana bread morning! So glad it was. It got gobbled up.
Honey Whole Wheat Banana BreadPrint Pin Rate
- 2.5 cups whole wheat flour
- 4 Tbs baking powder
- 2 tsp salt
- 2 eggs
- 1.5 cups honey
- 1 cube 1/2 cup butter
- 2/3 cup milk skim or low fat is fine, I used 2%
- 4 ripe bananas
- 1/2 cup applesauce
- Zest of one lemon
- nuts chocolate chips, coconut flakes (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350
- Mix dry ingredients together and set aside.
- In a mixer, or blender, mix together egg, honey, butter, milk, bananas, applesauce, and lemon zest. Use hand mixer to mix until smooth, or blend until smooth.
- Pour over dry ingredients, mix together by hand until incorporated
- At this point, stir in nuts, chocolate chips, coconut (if desired)
- Pour into 2 8.5 x 4.5 inch loaf pans sprayed with cooking spray
- Bake for approximiately 60 minutes, until a knife inserts in center comes out clean
Our recipe card software calculates these nutrition facts based on averages for the above ingredients, different brands, and quality of produce/meats may have different nutritional information, always calculate your own based on the specific products you use in order to achieve accurate macros for this recipe.
Of course, even though this bread is healthy, it is best slathered in butter, or honey butter! Yum. Enjoy!