Instant Pot Parmesan Risotto
Instant Pot Parmesan Risotto
Creamy, cheesy, crave-worthy Instant Pot Parmesan Risotto is the recipe that you have all been waiting for. This Instant Pot Parmesan Risotto is one side that may just steal the show. Once you have risotto you will never want to settle for just simply rice again.
Serve with Garlic Butter Shrimp and end the meal with a hit like Red Velvet Mini Bundt Cake with Sweet Cream Cheese Frosting for a great meal.
If you haven’t had risotto before, you are in for a treat. I love this Instant Pot Parmesan Risotto because by simply just following the step by step instructions you can have a dish that is so delicious without the temperamental hiccups that risotto gets a bad wrap for.
While I love a side like Easy Rice Pilaf, sometimes I really want to elevate a meal with a fabulous dish like Instant Pot Parmesan Risotto.
What You Need to Make Instant Pot Parmesan Risotto
Instant Pot Risotto is the best! Make sure you have all the necessary ingredients so you can make this fantastic dish.
- Unsalted Butter
- Garlic Cloves
- Arborio Rice
- White Wine or Chicken Stock
- Low-Sodium Chicken Stock
- Grated Parmesan Cheese
- Salt and Pepper
- Fresh Parsley for Garnish
How to Make Instant Pot Parmesan Risotto
Time needed: 35 minutes.
Not a lot of time required for this dish. So, don’t let the multiple steps intimidate you.
Melt Butter and Saute Veggies in the Instant Pot.
Use the saute setting and melt the butter. Then add onion and cook until soft. Lastly, add garlic and cook for about 30 seconds.
Add Rice and Toast.
Add rice and stir well, toasting lightly.
Add White Wine.
Add white wine, cooking until evaporated.
Warm Chicken Stock.
While white wine is cooking, warm chicken stock in the microwave.
Add Chicken Stock to Instant Pot.
Add chicken stock and stir with a wooden spoon to get any rice sticking to the bottom removed.
Put the lid on and set valve to the sealing position. Cook for 6 minutes.
Once done cooking, quick release the pressure.
Saute Rice in Instant Pot.
Turn pot back to the “saute” setting, and continue to cook the risotto for about 5-6 minutes, until rice is tender, and liquid is thickened. Stir constantly during this time.
Add Parmesan and Season.
Once rice begins to absorb the liquid, stir in parmesan. Then season to taste with salt and pepper.
Add More Chicken Broth.
Add remaining chicken broth to get a nice consistency.
Garnish and Serve.
Garnish with chopped fresh parsley and additional parmesan cheese.
Tips and Tricks for Making Instant Pot Parmesan Risotto
Making this recipe is Eazy Peazy but here are some helpful tips and tricks for making this recipe…
- Don’t Rinse the Rice: Make sure you don’t rinse the rice first. Rinsing the rice removes the starchiness, which contributes to the creaminess.
- It’s Important Stock is Warm: Notice the recipe calls for warming the stock in the microwave. Do not skip this step. Cold stock will sabotage the cooking process, by cooling off the ingredients you have already warmed up.
- Offer Fun Toppings: Toppings like bacon, Gouda, or gorgonzola make for nice toppings.
- Fun Partnerships with Risotto: There are many great foods that go great with risotto, like a light salad, roasted veggies, shrimp, chicken or some delicious bread.
- Good Consistency Equals No Additional Cheese: Avoid adding too much cheese. Not following the recipe and adding extra cheese into the risotto may affect consistency.
Make Ahead and Storage
How to make this recipe ahead of time:
- Risotto can be made up to 3 days ahead of time.
- Place risotto in the fridge in a baking pan that is not deep and make sure to cover the risotto.
- When ready to eat it, place risotto in a bowl with liquid of choice (water, broth, etc.).
- Heat for about 4 minutes in the microwave.
- Stir occasionally to make sure it is heated all the way through.
Note: Fresh is of course best and freezing risotto is not really a good option.
Other Great Recipes:
- Mushroom Risotto
- Instant Pot Chicken Piccata
- Instant Pot Spaghetti and Meat Sauce
- Instant Pot Lasagna Soup (Slow Cooker)
- Instant Pot Au Gratin Potatoes
Instant Pot Parmesan Risotto
- 2 Tablespoons butter unsalted
- 1 onion chopped fine, small
- 3 garlic cloves minced
- 1 ½ cups arborio rice
- ½ cup white wine can sub chicken stock
- 4 cups chicken stock warmed, low-sodium
- ½ cup parmesan cheese grated
- salt and pepper
- fresh parsley garnish (and additional parmesan cheese)
- Using the saute setting, melt butter in the instant pot
- Once butter is melted, add onion, and cook until soft, about 5 minutes, stirring regularly.
- Stir in garlic, and cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds.
- Add rice, and stir well. Toast it lightly, about 2-4 minutes.
- Add white wine, and cook until it has evaporated, about 1-2 minutes.
- Warm chicken stock in microwave while white wine evaporates
- Stir in 3 ¼ cups warmed chicken stock, use a wooden spoon to scrape any rice that might be sticking to the bottom of the pot.
- Put lid on top of the instant pot, and lock into place, setting valve to the sealing position.
- Cook for 6 minutes.
- After the 6 minutes is up, quick release pressure, by carefully turning the valve to the “venting” position, being careful to avoid any steam or water that might release.
- Turn pot back to the “saute” setting, and continue to cook the risotto for about 5-6 minutes, until rice is tender, and liquid is thickened. Stir constantly during this time.
- Once liquid has started to absorb, stir in parmesan, and season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Before serving, add remaining ¾ cup of chicken broth to get a nice, loose risotto consistency, and serve with chopped fresh parsley and additional parmesan cheese for garnish.
Our recipe card software calculates these nutrition facts based on averages for the above ingredients, different brands, and quality of produce/meats may have different nutritional information, always calculate your own based on the specific products you use in order to achieve accurate macros for this recipe.
Pin to your Dinners board on Pinterest: