I wrote this post as part of my participation in a blog tour on behalf of Johnson & Johnson Consumer Inc. McNeil Consumer Healthcare Division, the makers of PEPCID ®. I received compensation to thank me for taking the time to participate. However, all opinions expressed are my own.
Steak Tortilla Soup: Insanely flavorful soup broth, loaded with steak, beans, corn, and tomatoes. This soup is literally the BEST tortilla soup I have ever eaten. It is easy to make, loaded with flavor, and a family favorite.
Being a busy mom of four means most of my days consist of running around, and shuttling kids from one thing to the next, while trying to keep my house and car in a semblance of cleanliness. I love my time in the car because it is often the only time I get to chat up my kids. Lately, though, I have had other things stealing that precious time.
Now you might be wondering why I am telling you this story. But here it is, this Steak Tortilla Soup changed things for me. Like I might go so far as to call it life changing soup! Hahahhaa I know it sounds crazy, but let me explain. My 10 year old daughter is smart, funny, beautiful, athletic, and absolutely kind. But she is also not affectionate at all. While my other 3 children always want to cuddle, snuggle, give me hugs, and be around me all the time, she prefers her space. So I count on that car time to talk to her, to check in on her, and know what she is up to. If I left it up to her I would barely see her.
So when my car time got snatched up with work, calls, and having my sitter drive because I was swamped, this soup came to my rescue.
Dinner used to be about connecting as a family for us, but a year or so ago when my husband had to move out of state for work, family dinner kind of dwindled down to the kids eating at the counter, and me sitting in my office or room scarfing down food while answering emails before I had to get the kids off to bed. Now that he is back home, I am trying to have more meals at the table. But we still have different activities and things that pull us away, and meal time is a function not a time to gather and connect.
So…again, what does this have to do with this Steak Tortilla Soup? I made this insanely delicious Steak Tortilla Soup, and hoped my kids would love it. I knew I would love it, but what was magical was how much my family enjoyed it and stayed at the table to eat more of it. My daughter said, “BEST SOUP EVER. I ate ten bowls” and my husband asked me to make it again. They sat there eating, and eating, and savoring every bite, and I got to have a real conversation with them because no one was rushing away from the table.
For me, a quick conversation killer is heartburn. Ever since my last pregnancy certain foods give me heartburn, and this particular soup is a touch spicy and has tomatoes, two things that can give me heartburn. Luckily, I didn’t have to worry because I took my PEPCID® so I enjoyed it fully. And got to sit and chat with my family. So if you also suffer from frequent (or infrequent) heartburn, consider any of the PEPCID® product line! They work wonders for me.
Recently PEPCID ® hosted the 100 Course Dinner in New Orleans, to celebrate that when heartburn is off the table, you’ll want the dinner and conversations to last. They had Chef Isaac Toups host it at his restaurant Toups’ Meatery. Anyway, the whole point of the dinner was that a meal is more than the food, it is about the conversation too. They called it CarpeDinner. Check out some of the photos and recipes from the event at the 100 Course Dinner Hub, it is awesome! I was blown away by the fact that they served 100 courses. And it reminded me that while I don’t have my car time right now, I can take advantage of dinner time, even if it is just one course! So I have decided to seize the dinner, and make it mine again.
And with a Steak Tortilla Soup dinner like this…can you blame me?
Steak Tortilla Soup Tips:
- If you don’t like spicy, use not spicy pickled jalapenos, or cut back the number you use. They add a lot of flavor, so don’t cut it out entirely.
- If you don’t want to make your own tortilla strips, buy some, or crush some chips for the top. The toppings are crucial to this soup! They make it so yummy.
- Cook your flank steak to your preferred doneness before putting it in the soup. Cooking time varies on thickness of steak, and personal preference.
- Always taste and season to your preference.
Here is the challenge: Make dinner yours again, make it less about the food (shocking coming from me) and more about the conversations with family and friends!
More dinner recipes to try with your family:
- Roast Chicken with Sheet Pan Tomato Sauce
- Red Wine Braised Beef
- Slow Cooker Honey Lime Chicken Tacos
- Easy Pork Enchiladas
- Sticky Chicken Bites
Steak Tortilla Soup
- 2 tsp ground cumin
- 2 tsp ground coriander
- 2 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp pepper
- 1 pound flank steak
- 1 Tbs olive oil
- 1 Tbs olive oil
- 1/2 cup chopped yellow onion
- 1 tsp minced garlic
- 1 quart beef broth
- 1/4 cup sliced pickled jalapenos
- 1 cup crushed tomatoes juices included
- 1 cup black beans washed and drained
- 1 cup whole kernel corn drained
- Cilantro leaves for garnish
- Tortilla strips
- In a small bowl, combine cumin, coriander, garlic powder, onion powder, dried thyme, salt, and pepper.
- Rub all over the flank steak, and drizzle with olive oil, let rest 10 minutes
- Meanwhile, in a large soup pot, heat 1 tbs olive oil over medium heat, and add onion, then saute until tender, approximately 4 minutes.
- I love to make this soup in my Staub Dutch Oven, it makes me feel extra cozy and warm.
- Stir in the garlic, and saute an additional minute.
- Pour broth, jalapenos, and tomatoes into the pot.
- Bring to a boil, and then reduce heat and simmer for 15 minutes.
- While simmering soup, either grill the steak 5 minutes per side, or bake at 425 degrees for 10-12 minutes.
- Place steak on cutting board, rest for 10 minutes, then cut beef against the grain, and add to the soup.
- Add in black beans and corn.
- Top with cilantro, tortilla strips, and enjoy!
Our recipe card software calculates these nutrition facts based on averages for the above ingredients, different brands, and quality of produce/meats may have different nutritional information, always calculate your own based on the specific products you use in order to achieve accurate macros for this recipe.
- For more information on PEPCID ® products, visit the PEPCID ® website at www.Pepcid.com.
- More information on PEPCID ® brand, visit the PEPCID ® Facebook page at www.Facebook.com/Pepcid.
- For more food inspiration, visit @PEPCID on Instagram.
Pin to your Soup board on Pinterest: