Thank you Vital Proteins for sponsoring this post for Thanksgiving Yams and for keeping it free for my readers, all opinions are my own.
The best Thanksgiving Yams on the planet. Hands down. No holds barred. You are going to love these Simple Thanksgiving Yams.
©Eazy Peazy Mealz by EazyPeazyMealz.com
Pin it to your Thanksgiving Sides board to SAVE it for later!
Follow Eazy Peazy Mealz on Pinterest for more great tips, ideas and recipes!
Have you ever had a recipe that you just know is it? Like the one and only. You are married to it for life? That is this recipe for Thanksgiving Yams. No matter how many sweet potato and yam recipes I try at Thanksgiving, I ALWAYS come back to this one. It is a family recipe. My mom gave it to me, her mom gave it to her. It probably came down the line even further, but I just can’t be sure.
I seriously can’t believe I have never shared this on my site. It is literally my go to recipe, and I make it often, not just for Thanksgiving. But it is awesome sauce! Anyway, even though it is a family tradition recipe, I decided to play with it some. I altered it just a tiny bit to add some protein to the glaze because I love the idea of eating it as a meal for leftovers and getting a serving of protein. And because I used Vital Proteins, which are odorless and flavorless, it did not change the flavor or texture at all, which is perfect because it was perfect as is. Now it is perfect and has protein!!! So you get great food, stronger hair and nails, and a healthier body all in one. #Winning
But Don’t Worry! I have shared the option without the protein if you don’t want to use it!
- 2-4 Yams Large
- 1 golden delicious apple peeled and sliced
- 1 c brown sugar
- 2 c water
- 2 scoops Vital Proteins Collagen Peptides optional
- 3 T corn starch
- 1 scoop Vital Proteins Beef Gelatin optional
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 c butter
- 2 T lemon juice
- Boil yams until soft
- Cool, peel, and slice
- Peel and slice the apple
- I like to use a mandolin slicer so that the slices are the same size so they will cook evenly.
- In a 9 x 13 pan, Layer yams, and apples
- I used my Pyrex glass baking pan.
- Preheat oven to 350 F
- Prepare glaze by mixing sugar, water, protein (optional), corn starch,beef gelatin (optional), salt, butter, and lemon juice together in a medium sized sauce pan over medium high heat.
- Bring to a boil. Let boil 1 minute.
- Pour over yam and apple mixture.
- Cover with foil.
- Bake for 1 hour.
Our recipe card software calculates these nutrition facts based on averages for the above ingredients, different brands, and quality of produce/meats may have different nutritional information, always calculate your own based on the specific products you use in order to achieve accurate macros for this recipe.